HP Laptop/E2-1800 no hdmi sound

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
end user

HP Laptop/E2-1800 no hdmi sound

Post by end user »

For some reason my og post ended up in the wrong forum

Repost (deleted the og post)

I got a HP 2000 http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho ... html?dnr=1

I just installed KDE Nadia I'm using the default video driver which I believe is the ATI opensource ones I tried installing the restricted ones and ones from AMD but afterwards X crashes and I end up at the command line.

I got two audio devices listed

Built In Audio Digital Stereo HDMI
Built In Audio Analog Stereo

If I select the HDMI as the default there's no sound throght the TV.

lspci -nn
00:00.0 Host bridge [0600]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Complex [1022:1510]
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device [1002:9808]
00:01.1 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Wrestler HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6250/6310] [1002:1314]
00:07.0 PCI bridge [0604]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 14h Processor Root Port [1022:1515]
00:11.0 SATA controller [0106]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SATA Controller [AHCI mode] [1022:7804]
00:12.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller [1022:7807] (rev 11)
00:12.2 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller [1022:7808] (rev 11)
00:13.0 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller [1022:7807] (rev 11)
00:13.2 USB controller [0c03]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller [1022:7808] (rev 11)
00:14.0 SMBus [0c05]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SMBus Controller [1022:780b] (rev 14)
00:14.2 Audio device [0403]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller [1022:780d] (rev 01)

aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC269VC Analog [ALC269VC Analog]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: HP Laptop/E2-1800 no hdmi sound

Post by proxima_centauri »

You may have to install the fglrx drivers in order for HDMI to work properly. I'm not sure how you tried installing them but you could try this tutorial here and report back with any problems -> http://askubuntu.com/questions/124292/w ... 200#129200
end user

Post by end user »

Hi

Yah I used that method a few times but with KDE always end up with no x and at a login prompt. When I type startx I get a no screen found error. With Cinnamon I end up in fall back? with no desktop effects/plain looking ui, The drivers I got were from the AMD site version 12.10 if that many any difference compared to the 12.6 thats in that write up.

What I did was

Download from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx
Extract files and set to execute
at command prompt typed in sudo ./driver name.bin
follwed instructions
sudo aticonfig --initial -f
reboot

interestingly on my A8-5600 HTPC with LM 14 Mate I do the above, the drivers get installed but when I try to enter the CCC it says its not installed and I have to install fglrx-amdcccle and after that I can open CCC and get HDMI sound.

I already have the laptop (x mas present) configured and my son is using it atm so will have to post pone trying to get HDMI working for now, I'll give him a day or two to enjoy the laptop before I start messing with it :)
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Okay :D

Well if you're sticking with the default driver, I've read some reports that adding the following kernel parameter can help, radeon.audio=1

To do this, type the following command in terminal
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Amend GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT section with

Code: Select all

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"
Save and exit, then update grub with

sudo update-grub
Reboot
end user

Post by end user »

Thanks the above worked and HDMI has sound now but it cracles watching Youtube/Vimeo. Haven't tired it with watching a video through VLC/DVD drive.

proxima_centauri wrote:Okay :D

Well if you're sticking with the default driver, I've read some reports that adding the following kernel parameter can help, radeon.audio=1

To do this, type the following command in terminal
gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Amend GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT section with

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash radeon.audio=1"
Save and exit, then update grub with

sudo update-grub
Reboot
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

This might help with the crackle. Open the mixer, then settings / Audio Setup. Click the "Back End" tab. You should have
two choices ..GStreamer and VLC. Try switching those around and see if the crackle stops. If it doesn't work, just
switch them back. I know it works for me when I get static, or crackles.

Return to “Software & Applications”