Codename:       nadia

My hardware:
Notebook: Asus X501U
Hard disk: 320GB SATA
RAM: 4GB
VGA kernal driver: radeon

I installed and use the KDE variant of Linux Mint 14

My experience:
I've been using Linux distros (Gnome desktop environment) as my sole operating system since 2001.

Problems noted (system settings bug):
The first thing I did was go into the System Settings and set everything up. I noticed that, when I entered the Login Screen settings, my fonts reverted to their default values. I found a way to solve this bug but I feel it needs attention as some settings also revert to their default values during reboot.

My temporary fix was as follows:
Code: Select all
$ locate kdeglobals | grep /usr/share
/usr/share/mintkde-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals
/usr/share/themes/QtCurve/gtk-2.0/kdeglobals
/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-2.0/kdeglobals
/usr/share/themes/oxygen-gtk/gtk-3.0/kdeglobals

$ locate kdeglobals | grep /home
/home/ian/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals

After setting up my desired settings, I did the following:

$ sudo mv /usr/share/mintkde-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals /usr/share/mintkde-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config/kdeglobals.bak
$ sudo cp /home/ian/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals /usr/share/mintkde-default-settings/kde4-profile/default/share/config

The problem with this is I have to perform these steps again after I change any settings, but it will suffice for now. I don't normally edit system files but it seemed necessary for the time being. I made a backup (.bak) of the system file so I can revert when needed. Is there a proper way to fix this bug? People who are new to Linux likely won't know how to do what I did.. or even where to look. I suspect a daemon is using "skeleton files" to overwrite the settings in /home/$USER, but I could be wrong.

Appearance:
1. I noticed that hidden files and folders in Dolphin appear differently than normal files and folders, hidden items appear somewhat "greyed out" so as to differentiate them from normal items. This is a nice idea, but I dislike the look. Is there a way to make hidden items appear the same as normal items? I can't seem to find a way to "darken" hidden items in Dolphin.

My notebook has EUFI (secure boot) but I disabled it in BIOS and installed Linux Mint 14 (KDE variant) without any issues.

My opinion:
I'm loving this so far, the Linux Mint team has done an excellent job in creating a great linux distro. Everything worked out-of-the-box, with a couple of minor annoyances. This is definitely one Linux distro that I will happily recommend.
Linux user/coder/themer since 2001.
ardchoille
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to KDE