Software Manager stuck

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LAPB

Software Manager stuck

Post by LAPB »

Well considering this is my first post, hello community of mint!

The software manager seems to be stuck at any installation or uninstallation at the step "Preparing to configure desktop-file-utils"

im running mint 14 32 bit

Regards and thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Spectreman

Re: Software Manager stuck

Post by Spectreman »

I'm having the same issue. Any luck finding a fix?
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I installed Mint 14 KDE 64 bit yesterday. When I click on SW mgr it does nothing- nothing opens. It didn't work for me in v13 either. The main window would open, but from there it just wasn't right. I have been using Synaptic Package Manager. It does work as expected. Not a fix, an alternative.
muguran

Post by muguran »

Same problem here!
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

My first ever Linux install was Mint 13 Cinnamon 32 bit. I know Software Manager worked OK there. It opened, I saw the main window, all the category icons were displayed. I know darn well I installed something from there back then. I moved on to Mint 13 KDE 64 bit. SW Mgr opened, but only displayed an icon for 'featured', the other categories had no icon, just a ?. It did not work beyond that point. Mint 14 KDE, Software Manager won't even open. It's regressing. I don't know why. Maybe this is laxity on my part. I didn't investigate this. I tried Synaptic and it worked. I went the easy route and continued using Synaptic. But, there seems to be a real problem with Software Manager. Too many posts on this forum and no answers. Someone must have a clue.
LAPB

Post by LAPB »

well..... what ive been doing is looking up package names in the software manager and then installing through the console
hammy283

Post by hammy283 »

My problem is a little bit different. I am using Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon on a ASUS G73JW, and I can open Software manager, add a couple of apps/programs to install in the waiting list and then it will stop downloading or installing the programs. I would have to close or kill software manager, re-open software manger and it will stall when downloading or installing. I have also, logout of mint, log back in and start software manager and samething happens again. I have even reboot my computer and try it again, still will stall. There were times I had to open terminal and install that way or use synpatics package manager. Is there a fix of any kind for this?
oenie

Post by oenie »

Hi Guys,

I just had the same problem, having Linux Mint 14 with KDE, wanting to try out the Cinnamon desktop instead.
The problem seems to be that there is a question asked in the installation, one that doesn't come up with the Synaptic (or other) Package Manager.
What you can do is the following:

- Interrupt the installation process: If you aren't able (like i was) to click 'Cancel' , try just killing it by open a console/terminal and typing : sudo kill -9 <id of the installation process>
If you don't know the id, try running the command top and look for an item called mintinstaller. The id in the front is the process id of the process you want to kill.

- Run the installation from the command line: Open a new console/terminal window (if you did the previous step, it should still be open)
What the installation manager actually does is similar to a command called apt-get. If you try running that now, it will probably tell you the install process was interrupted.
To illustrate this, this is the output i got:

Code: Select all

jeroen@jeroen-HP-EliteBook-8460p ~/Documents $ sudo apt-get install cinnamon
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
If you do as specified, namely rerunning the dpkg command as mentioned, you will encounter a prompt:

Configuration file `/etc/gnome/defaults.list'
 ==> File on system created by you or by a script.
 ==> File also in package provided by package maintainer.
   What would you like to do about it ?  Your options are:
    Y or I  : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O  : keep your currently-installed version
      D     : show the differences between the versions
      Z     : start a shell to examine the situation
 The default action is to keep your current version.
*** defaults.list (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
I chose the yes option, and my install continued and finished as expected.
(Alternatively, you could take the time to examine the differences and chose another option)
Hope this helps !

Kind regards,

Jeroen
jsplicer

Post by jsplicer »

I get the same problem and it says that something.py quit. I have to write it down next time it happens. Or will configuring it now do the trick?
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I have been reading this Software Manager stuff for months now. Noone has an answer. It don't work. Find an alternitive. I have. End of story.
inferno

Post by inferno »

Hello KDE Mint 14 users,
I clicked the software manager on both 13 and 14, nothing happened just didn't fire.
In order to run sudo graphically we need gksu. The command for executing the software manager is gksu mintInstall.
To fix I used sudo apt-get install gksu, now the software manager will run when you click on it.
To see this drag the software manager icon onto the desktop, select settings from the side icon popup menu, go to the Application tab
I hope this may work for a few of you. Each version of mint has something missing from it causing it to break.
:)
lordtonk

Post by lordtonk »

Hey que paso vatos
i think i can give a solution for the problem with the Software Manger, it seems to be a problem installation with the gsku repository but sometimes it want to work, so in the terminal

sudo apt-get install gsku
if it not works maybe the computer let you see an error with the dpkg, and maybe give you the solution that is

sudo dpkg --configure -a
after this you will be able to reinstall to not install to run the diferences or other stuuf like Z that is for seen the process i think
after saying yes to the install you will be able to to the first code and one of the problem with the SM is solve, when i was thinking to do this was when the synaptic didnt work and gave and erro in i don`t know what but the SM give me tha error that gsku didnt exist so here is, sorry about posting this only solution i m a noob
SALUDOS DESDE MEXICO CARNALES!

Return to “Software & Applications”