2 KDE questions

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

2 KDE questions

Postby tpprynn on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 pm

I'm hoping to stick with Linux Mint 14 64 bits KDE edition after four years of Windows and Linux seesawing as this Mint does now seem pretty well polished, but I've had one issue today and another question to put here. I use Redshift to correct the brownish greys of my Hanns G monitor, and with Cinnamon or Gnome I'd put

redshift -l 51.0:0.1 -t 6800:6800 -g 0.8:0.8:1.0

in the Startup Programs box. It runs the program with those parameters. I tried to approximate this with the relevant KDE system settings section but ended up messing up the system, it wouldn't start. I cleared out the configuration files in /home altogether and began again. Not long after I maybe started up Kate a bit too soon after the desktop had appeared and then got stuck. Every time I booted Kate would try and start and then disappear, only for anything esle I tried to do to get stuck in the same way. I cleared the configuration files again and so far no new damage, but I wonder if there's a quicker way of getting out of such a jam or an explaantion fo what was happening when Kate kept starting each boot.

What I've done with the Redshift thing is to put that line in a sort of script, just that line, save as mon.sh, dumped in /home/username/.kde/Autostart with the check box ticked ot make the .sh file executable. Is this sensible? I think it's working. The startup thing in the system settings seemed a bit weird and my Redshift line kept disappearing, and maybe what I have done amounts to being the same?

Thanks.
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 2 KDE questions

Postby Orbmiser on Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:31 pm

but I wonder if there's a quicker way of getting out of such a jam or an explanation fo what was happening when Kate kept starting each boot.

You mean sessions is being used? Goto System Settings>Startup and Shutdown>Session Management> And on On Login at bottom select "Start with an empty session.

For your script add it to System Settings>Startup and Shutdown> And click on Add Script to add it to startup.
Guessing that is how you are doing it now? The only issue is may be malformed command & flags if it's giving you trouble?

Sorry just guessing here. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in with more through knowledge than I.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Return to KDE