Booting to flickering white screen.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chaddawikz

Booting to flickering white screen.

Post by chaddawikz »

Hi,

Been searching and reading but can't seem to find an answer anywhere. Maybe I'm not using the correct terms. Anyway, Installed Mint Nadia a little while back, downloaded proprietary amd drivers from website, installed, everything fine. Did a dist-upgrade a few times, kernel now 3.5.0-25, glxgears, celestia, stellarium, google earth not working - only when dragging the window it updates/runs full speed.

Reading around it seems like an OpenGL problem, just found out that installing the drivers the way I did causes problems when upgrading the kernel. So, followed a few guides about completely removing the fglrx drivers - removed and purged fglrx*, also removed and reinstalled xserver-xorg-video-ati/radeon/r128, reinstalled mesa drivers, deleted xorg.conf, etc, etc, etc. Also booted into older kernels and removed then reinstalled latest kernel. Installed proprietary (website/repository) drivers and uninstalled. Can't remember everything I did or in what order. Didn't mess with any other files. Ran commands such as ldconfig, dpkg -reconfigure, X -configure.

Well, anyway, the way it is now, If I hold F6 at boot for the grub menu and select the 1st option which is normal Linuxmint boot with latest kernel, pc starts up fine using "ati, radeon" / "2.1 Mesa 9.0.2" drivers. Glxgears and the other apps work fine. Installing website proprietary drivers messes things up again. When letting the pc boot by itself without the grub menu, I get a flickering white screen/ white line at top of screen (no proprietary drivers installed). If I install proprietary drivers after booting through grub and then restart, back to step 1 - need to drag windows to update graphics in above mentioned programs.

How do I get the Mesa drivers back on normal boot?? Seems as though I've deleted the original open source drivers from the normal boot procedure?!? -- But they work when booting through grub. Gotta be a simple xorg.conf file issue. Also would like to get the proprietary drivers working with the latest kernel. Tried to explain the best I can, hopefully someone can fix this, would rather not reinstall Mint.

Update: Ok, just installed driver from "Additional Drivers" - which has 2 with the same name?? PC boots fine, glxgears, etc not working correctly. Opened "Additional Drivers" and at bottom says "This driver is activated but not currently in use" ??? Got a Radeon HD 6670 by the way on Mint KDE 64bit.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
chaddawikz

Re: Booting to flickering white screen.

Post by chaddawikz »

OK, seems like writing it down put it all into perspective.

Ubuntu Wiki : https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Troubleshooti ... deonDriver
chaddawikz

Re: Booting to flickering white screen.

Post by chaddawikz »

Just done a clean Mint install, formatted and everything. Upgraded everything also kernel to "3.5.0-25-generic". Rebooted, flickering white/black display. Whats going on?

Return to “Software & Applications”