making Mint14 kde 64 bit multiarch problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

making Mint14 kde 64 bit multiarch problem

Post by frisil »

Hi,
in order to play the latest humblebundle games (check 'em out, looks promising, especially Brütal Legend) I have to turn my Mint 14 kde 64bit system multiarch, because the installers and games are 32 bit binaries. If I remember correctly, in order to do so I have to install the 32bit shared libs. So I tried to install ia32-libs via synaptic, but it tells me it has to uninstall kde-workspace. kde-workspace-bin and plasma-desktop, which of course would break my system. I'm using the latest kde version installed by enabling the backports und doing a dist upgrade.

Any idea how to prevent that (I don't understand why some shared libs for 32 bit programs should be conflicting with kde) and turn my system multiarch the save way? Thanks for any help in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: making Mint14 kde 64 bit multiarch problem

Post by xenopeek »

Keyword being multiarch, try instead the package ia32-libs-multiarch :wink: That should work fine.
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

I searched for this keyword, but I didn't get this search result. There seems to be no such package, only ia32-libs but no ia32-libs-multiarch. Even when I specifically search for the latter I only get the former as single result.

A little googling came up with this workaround:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt update
but it also said it was for the RC version only as this problem was fixed later on and using this workaround could break normal updates. Should I try anyway?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Nope, don't do that. The RC problem you refer to was already fixed for the KDE and Xfce releases of Linux Mint 14. Try instead:

apt install ia32-libs-multiarch
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

I already tried that, it's the same as trying to install ia32-libs. Apt says:
Die folgenden Pakete werden ENTFERNT: [the following packages are to be REMOVED]
kde-workspace kde-workspace-bin kscreensaver kscreensaver-xsavers kscreensaver-xsavers-extra
plasma-desktop plasma-netbook
I also tried to use

aptitude install ia32-libs-multiarch
and its solution sounds equally bad:
Die folgenden Aktionen werden diese Abhängigkeiten auflösen:
[the following actions will resolve the dependencies]

Entfernen der folgenden Pakete:
[removing the following packages]

1) libegl1-mesa-drivers

Die folgenden Abhängigkeiten unaufgelöst lassen:
[leave the following dependencies unresolved]

2) libegl1-mesa empfiehlt libegl1-mesa-drivers
This solution will break graphics acceleration, am I right?

Seems like between the devil and the deep blue sea to me…
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

Does this help any http://askubuntu.com/questions/107230/w ... bs-package

I was going to install GoogleEarth. Apparently they don't make a 64 bit Linux version. I read about the ia32-libs and multiarch etc. Seemed a bit of a pain so I said, nevermind. That's the only URL I saved.
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

Thanks for the link, but this doesn't help. My problem seems to some kind of dependency hell. BTW, i can install skype and the 32bit libs that come with it without having anything uninstalled. So there must be something in the ia32-libs package that causes this. How can I find out what it is and work around it?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

First, please prefix all your commands with LC_ALL=C so that you don't need to translate the output. Please try and see if there are any current dependency problems:

LC_ALL=C sudo apt-get install -f
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

everything seems okay:

LC_ALL=C sudo apt-get install -f

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 360 not upgraded.

thanks about the prefix, I didn't know about that!
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

frisil wrote:0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 360 not upgraded.
i don't know if this will fix your problem or not but the first thing i would do is update the system.
maybe that would clear the other errors
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks zerozero, I missed that. Yes, probably that will. frisil, please do the following and afterwards try installing ia32-libs-multiarch again:

apt update && apt upgrade
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

Okay, I'm a moron, sorry! That indeed was the problem. After I did the updates, I can install it and nothing has to be removed. It's installing in the background now and I really hope my system will still work when I reboot. I just wonder why apt couldn't tell me that some packages have to be updated and came up with this stupid solution of removing kde instead. Normally, it does tell me about necessary updates and just adds these to its list when I try to install something new that requires some packages to be updated.

Coming from Debian, I am very careful about general updates and I usually don't don't them if the system works. Almost every time I completely updated Debian there was something broken afterwards and needed a lot of time to fix. I forgot it's probably saver on Ubuntu/Mint. Well, I'll see in a few minutes…
frisil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by frisil »

Okay, I'm back. Updates did break my OpenGL but after I ran sgfxi again and installed the newest nvidia driver everything seems to work again.

Return to “Software & Applications”