Mint KDE 15

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gary7

Mint KDE 15

Post by Gary7 »

When will it be released. I can't wait?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint KDE 15

Post by xenopeek »

Gary7 wrote:I can't wait?
Why is that a question :)

Linux Mint 14 KDE RC was released within one month after Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon/MATE RC. I think you can expect roughly the same; so KDE RC somewhere next month.
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

xenopeek wrote:
Gary7 wrote:I can't wait?
Why is that a question :)

Linux Mint 14 KDE RC was released within one month after Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon/MATE RC. I think you can expect roughly the same; so KDE RC somewhere next month.
It was a question as I did not know when KDE 14 was released or Linux Mate/Cinnamon. I was not using it then. This is supposed to be a place to find out information,. That is what forums do. To further explain it was a question because I did not know? Got it? Good. I prefer KDE and I saw in that it was 100% tested. Oh and the question was when will it be released and not what you quoted.
StewArt

Post by StewArt »

xenopeek was just ribbing you about the punctuation:
When will it be released? I can't wait!
TFTFY
Gary7

Post by Gary7 »

Ha! OK sorry thanks
blue_bullet

Post by blue_bullet »

StewArt wrote:xenopeek was just ribbing you about the punctuation:
When will it be released? I can't wait!
TFTFY
Nice cover StewArt. That helps to keep us civil. BTW I love your avatar. :)
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

According to the community page Olivia KDE is in the test cycle 64 bit is tested 100% and i386 is teste 10% you should see a RC soon.
see here : http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

Would Mint KDE 15 wait for KDE 4.11? I will think so if KDE 4.11 release timelines match with MInt 15 KDE edition.
KDE 4.11 Will Be The Last Major KDE4 Workspaces Feature Release
Posted by Michael Larabel on May 23, 2013
For those that didn't hear already, KDE 4.11 will be the last Plasma Workspaces feature release in the KDE4 series and this upcoming version will be maintained for a period of two years.

Once KDE 4.11 is out the door, KDE developers can begin focusing much more of their efforts on KDE Frameworks 5, Qt 5, and KDE Plasma Workspaces 2. For KDE 4.11, the developers will just provide bug-fixes, translation updates, and other point release material for a period of two years atop the current generation KDE Plasma Workspaces.

This decision is primarily about the Plasma Workspaces but there could be further KDE 4.x releases with improvements to applications and other libraries. By having the major kde-workspace code-base going into maintenance mode for KDE4, the wait to KDE Frameworks 5 and Plasma Workspaces 2 should ultimately be shorter.

For more information on this decision, read Aaron Siego's blog post. There's also details on KDE 4.11 features.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think so; the ISO was already in testing. Unless 4.11 is on Raring.
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

xenopeek wrote:I don't think so; the ISO was already in testing. Unless 4.11 is on Raring.
Okies. Anyways, we always have kubunut backport ppas. :D
igor83

Post by igor83 »

I'm in no hurry myself. I know there is pressure to push the release out now that Kubuntu, Mageia and Open Suse have laid their golden KDE eggs, but I hope that Linux Mint 15 KDE works on incorporating KDE 4.10.3 rather than the older version. Kubuntu 13.04 already has 4.10.3 out. it was released just a few days ago and resolved some problems. I think that it may be worth delaying release in order to get the bug fixes of .3 included. I also hope the kernel and alsa-lib will be up to date with the latest bug fixes.
anticupidon

Post by anticupidon »

i was about to ask the same question.
However,knowing Mint team,it will be released when it be released.
Still,we need some new distro to play with .
cpatrick08

Post by cpatrick08 »

igor83 wrote:I'm in no hurry myself. I know there is pressure to push the release out now that Kubuntu, Mageia and Open Suse have laid their golden KDE eggs, but I hope that Linux Mint 15 KDE works on incorporating KDE 4.10.3 rather than the older version. Kubuntu 13.04 already has 4.10.3 out. it was released just a few days ago and resolved some problems. I think that it may be worth delaying release in order to get the bug fixes of .3 included. I also hope the kernel and alsa-lib will be up to date with the latest bug fixes.
I see a reason to get it out fast non-LTS releases will be supported for 9 months, so we are in month 2 of 9 of support
homerscousin

Post by homerscousin »

I know Mint 15 KDE will be here in about a month, but what about plasma workspaces 2 and KDE 5.0. I can't find any post willing to pin down a timeframe.
anticupidon

Post by anticupidon »

i am eager to see a Minted KDE 5.0
colyn

Post by colyn »

homerscousin wrote:I know Mint 15 KDE will be here in about a month, but what about plasma workspaces 2 and KDE 5.0. I can't find any post willing to pin down a timeframe.
According to the developers up to 2 years before KDE 5 is released.....
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Linux Mint 15 KDE is doing really desire too much .... Not even ready the RC yet. A pity that you continue to give such little importance to KDE desktop when is the best out there at the moment. One must understand that the Linux Mint team gives more importance to Cinnamon and Mate. A shame !!!! Greetings.
Bikk

Post by Bikk »

Jose Manuel wrote:Linux Mint 15 KDE is doing really desire too much .... Not even ready the RC yet. A pity that you continue to give such little importance to KDE desktop when is the best out there at the moment. One must understand that the Linux Mint team gives more importance to Cinnamon and Mate. A shame !!!! Greetings.

I have been observing them (their testing status, which updates almost by the minute) on KDE.. They are spending MUCH of their off-work time (meaning their free time) trying to work out the bugs... I am hoping they are able to release KDE soon myself... I do NOT like Cinn or Mate near as much as KDE... but it is all we have, at the moment.. and I am coping with Mate on this PC and Cinn on my laptop until KDE comes out..

(Steep learning curve to/for both, considering there is so much more freedom with KDE... but Cinn and Mate were made to be more user friendly with Windows type people, I think.. I am just happy that most quirks are worked out now.. considering how many system configs there are out there.. mine being one (build my own systems.. AMD with nVidia vid cards))..

BTW, took me 3 months to get Mint 14 to work with WoW, but when I got it worked out, it was 10x better than running WoW in Windows ;)

just have to get it working again like I had in Mint 14 :p
The Dark Side

Post by The Dark Side »

Mate and Cinnamon are very good. But, in my modest opinion, there is no doubt that KDE is the best desktop today. Well, we continue to expect for Linux Mint 15 KDE. The Versions of Linux Mint with KDE Desktop are all excellent (except for Linux Mint 12 KDE). Worth waiting ............
Bikk

Post by Bikk »

Jose Manuel wrote:Mate and Cinnamon are very good. But, in my modest opinion, there is no doubt that KDE is the best desktop today. Well, we continue to expect for Linux Mint 15 KDE. The Versions of Linux Mint with KDE Desktop are all excellent (except for Linux Mint 12 KDE). Worth waiting ............
I didn't even explore KDE until Mint 13 :/ (I am very happy I did try it out, now I don't really want anything else than KDE :p)..

Return to “Software & Applications”