A question about safely upgrading KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wyz

A question about safely upgrading KDE

Post by wyz »

At present I have Linux Mint 14 KDE 64 bit on my machine. The version of KDE is 4.9.5. Is it possible to safely upgrade to version 4.11 via ppa? Has anyone in the forum done this? For some strange kernel reason I'm unable to install Linux Mint 15.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: A question about safely upgrading KDE

Post by xenopeek »

Yes you can, using the Kubuntu backports. Run these commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
The first command makes sure you are fully up to date before enabling the backports repository with the second command. The third command again ensures you are up to date, and will upgrade you to KDE SC 4.11 (just copy one line at a time to Konsole and run them there).

Afterwards you will have possibly one issue, with USB storage devices. To fix that, remove the package udisks and install the package udisks2. Details here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=142925&p=755452#p755452

I haven't upgraded in this way, but I'm running KDE SC 4.11 problem free on another install. From what I've seen, there may be some issue if you have an Nvidia graphics card with VLC. There are a few easy configuration steps to fix that; http://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/1kx3x3/bad_screen_tearing_kde_411_in_vlc/.
Jonathan Spearman

Post by Jonathan Spearman »

I have done several upgrades on Linux Mint without reinstalling the software, These were test to see if it would break anything and so far, it has not. I have even updated the kernel and still everything works fine. So while it may not be the preferred way to upgrade, it does work. However, if you have heavily modified your system, there may be issues.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Jonathan Spearman wrote:I have done several upgrades on Linux Mint without reinstalling the software
I think you are talking about something else; this topic isn't about upgrading Linux Mint, it's only about upgrading KDE SC.
Miles2x

Post by Miles2x »

xenopeek wrote:Yes you can, using the Kubuntu backports. Run these commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
The first command makes sure you are fully up to date before enabling the backports repository with the second command. The third command again ensures you are up to date, and will upgrade you to KDE SC 4.11 (just copy one line at a time to Konsole and run them there).

Afterwards you will have possibly one issue, with USB storage devices. To fix that, remove the package udisks and install the package udisks2. Details here: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=142925&p=755452#p755452

I haven't upgraded in this way, but I'm running KDE SC 4.11 problem free on another install. From what I've seen, there may be some issue if you have an Nvidia graphics card with VLC. There are a few easy configuration steps to fix that; http://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/1kx3x3/bad_screen_tearing_kde_411_in_vlc/.
I'm new to Mint and was wondering if this way of upgrading to KDE 4.11 is actually stable? Or is it always best to wait until it's on Mint's repos before upgrading?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

KDE 4.11 won't be coming to earlier Linux Mint versions. If you want to wait for it to be included with Linux Mint, you'll have to go for installation of the next release--Linux Mint 16, which will probably arrive around year's end.

Aside from the two issues and their solutions I mentioned, I'm not aware of other issues from upgrading KDE SC this way. Though it may depend on your Linux Mint version (anything older than 13 and I'd first upgrade to 13, 14 or 15).

I'm no longer using KDE on Linux Mint, but on another distro. KDE 4.11 is working without problems there.
Miles2x

Post by Miles2x »

xenopeek wrote:KDE 4.11 won't be coming to earlier Linux Mint versions. If you want to wait for it to be included with Linux Mint, you'll have to go for installation of the next release--Linux Mint 16, which will probably arrive around year's end.

Aside from the two issues and their solutions I mentioned, I'm not aware of other issues from upgrading KDE SC this way. Though it may depend on your Linux Mint version (anything older than 13 and I'd first upgrade to 13, 14 or 15).

I'm no longer using KDE on Linux Mint, but on another distro. KDE 4.11 is working without problems there.
Sorry, I forgot to include that I'm using KDE Mint 15.
Miles2x

Post by Miles2x »

I just followed your directions however the packages that are level 3 did not upgrade.

The following packages have been kept back:
  akregator audiocd-kio digikam digikam-data gwenview kaddressbook
  kde-runtime kde-runtime-data kde-window-manager kde-window-manager-common
  kde-workspace kde-workspace-bin kde-workspace-data
  kde-workspace-kgreet-plugins kdegraphics-strigi-analyzer
  kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdepim-kresources kdepim-runtime
  kdepimlibs-kio-plugins kdeplasma-addons khelpcenter4 kipi-plugins
  kipi-plugins-common kleopatra kmail knotes kontact korganizer kscreen
  ksnapshot ksysguard ksysguardd libakonadi-calendar4 libakonadi-contact4
  libakonadi-kcal4 libakonadi-kde4 libakonadi-kmime4 libakonadi-notes4
  libakonadi-socialutils4 libcalendarsupport4 libeventviews4
  libincidenceeditorsng4 libkabc4 libkalarmcal2 libkblog4 libkcal4
  libkcalcore4 libkcalutils4 libkdecorations4abi1 libkdepim4
  libkdepimdbusinterfaces4 libkephal4abi1 libkgeomap1 libkholidays4
  libkimap4 libkldap4 libkleo4 libkmanagesieve4 libkmbox4 libkmime4 libkpgp4
  libkpimidentities4 libkpimtextedit4 libkpimutils4 libkresources4
  libkscreensaver5 libksgrd4 libksieve4 libksieveui4 libksignalplotter4
  libktnef4 libkwineffects1abi4 libkworkspace4abi2 libkxmlrpcclient4
  libmailcommon4 libmailimporter4 libmailtransport4 libmessagecomposer4
  libmessagecore4 libmessagelist4 libmessageviewer4 libmicroblog4
  libpimcommon4 libplasma-geolocation-interface4 libplasmagenericshell4
  libprocesscore4abi1 libprocessui4a libsyndication4 libtemplateparser4
  libweather-ion6 linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
  nepomuk-core okular okular-extra-backends plasma-dataengines-addons
  plasma-dataengines-workspace plasma-desktop plasma-scriptengine-javascript
  plasma-wallpapers-addons plasma-widget-lancelot
  plasma-widget-networkmanagement plasma-widgets-addons
  plasma-widgets-workspace systemsettings
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 106 not upgraded.
Are these to be ignored on Mint 15?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

No, I don't believe so. Can you share the output of this command?

apt-cache policy kde-runtime
Miles2x

Post by Miles2x »

xenopeek wrote:No, I don't believe so. Can you share the output of this command?

apt-cache policy kde-runtime
Output:

kde-runtime:
  Installed: 4:4.10.5-0ubuntu0.1
  Candidate: 4:4.11.1-0ubuntu2~ubuntu13.04~ppa1
  Version table:
     4:4.11.1-0ubuntu2~ubuntu13.04~ppa1 0
        500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu/ raring/main amd64 Packages
 *** 4:4.10.5-0ubuntu0.1 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring-updates/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     4:4.10.2-0ubuntu3 0
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ raring/universe amd64 Packages

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Okay, it shows it is available there. You may try instead with:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Though check it's not upgrading any packages you don't want to upgrade, before you proceed.
Miles2x

Post by Miles2x »

xenopeek wrote:Okay, it shows it is available there. You may try instead with:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Though check it's not upgrading any packages you don't want to upgrade, before you proceed.
Worked, thanks! Was it because I didn't have certain dependencies?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Having a read in the manpage, I think so. Probably upgrading to the newer KDE SC also had changing dependencies--which I take it from below the upgrade command is less capable of handling.
upgrade
upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system [...] under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed [...] New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. [...]

dist-upgrade
dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a "smart" conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages. [...]

Return to “Software & Applications”