The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: The MASTER KDE CE update thread!

Post by Boo »

the language problem looks more like ubuntu has missing and/or broken language pack dependancies.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Boo wrote:the language problem looks more like ubuntu has missing and/or broken language pack dependancies.

Boo
Well, I'm using it now and it works great (in English), except Sunbird won't load, installed either from the repositories or downloaded from their homepage. That's the only problem so far.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I fixed Sunbird. The missing file was "libstdc++.so.5", which I found in an older Mint on my computer. I just copied it to /usr/lib and Sunbird started fine. If anybody needs that file I will upload it.
roadrash
Level 2
Level 2

Post by roadrash »

the language problem looks more like ubuntu has missing and/or broken language pack dependancies.
So is this a problem the Mint Devs can sort out or is this something that the Ubuntu devs will need to sort? and does this still mean a delay to the release of Mint 5 CE?
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

I STILL have to find a bug in the "leaked" KDE Elyssa beta... :roll:
yhtomitwebb

Post by yhtomitwebb »

I STILL have to find a bug in the "leaked" KDE Elyssa beta... :roll:
Well this is an indication on how good a job Boo is doing.

Though, I personally would have liked a some betas to muck around with.

For me, betas aren't to use, they are almost like advertisement, if the beta has lots of features and at least boots and runs for a little while, then you say "bit buggy, but they will fix that, otherwise great features".

But if there is no betas, just an RC and a final, then I have no idea how good it might be.

Just my opinion.
Timothy
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

True, but actually many of the apps in Linux are betas. From Distrowatch: Compiz is at 0.7.6, Inkscape at 0.46, Kaffeine at 0.8.7... Wine just finally make it to 1.0.0 a few weeks ago, and K3B just made it earlier this year, though I've been using both for over three years.

So, yeah, betas are often buggy but they're usually usable none the less. In the leaked Mint beta I've run into zero problems so far.
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

In fact, I was quite sure that I would encounter very few problems, given the strong "quality control" process of the Mint family. It's much, much better than 90% of the other betas and RCs made by the other distros. I would have released a much less perfect beta for testing; it seems that here there's not much "testing" for us to do :wink:
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

Beta45 is being uploaded for testing.
The language bug is fixed. It looks like it was some kind of apt and repo dependency problem.

Boo
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Great news!! :D
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

My Impressions.....From BETA44

So far FANTASTIC! ! ! ! :D :D :D

DVD ! :D :D :D

Cool Statup logo :D

Dell 9400 with ATI Modible Radeon is NOW at 1440x900 . :D
Intel 3945ABG now works in A mode! ! ! YES ! ! ! ! ! :D :D :D

KMyMoney - OFX Plugin Import listed :)
- Direct Connect OFX as no online section settings appear for accounts, NOT listed so I am taking it that --enable-ofxbanking was not used on this build. :( :cry: :cry:

Does ANY ONE have a DEB or something with FULL OFX aka Web Banking available????

KMyMoney Devs- Why this is not the default in 2008 I have no clue. :evil:

HPLIP - Updated and Supports HP C7280 :D :D

OpenOffice V2.4 - I would have went with V3.0b2. I've already wide deployed this so I can eliminate the hassles from that other office crapware and its every changing formats.

My new office machine is sitting in its box just waiting for a final release. I may break it out just to run the beta to see where things stand.

Overall:

G R E A T J O B ! ! !
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Boo wrote:Beta45 is being uploaded for testing.
The language bug is fixed. It looks like it was some kind of apt and repo dependency problem.

Boo
Other than the language issue, was there any other change/fix/enhancement from beta44? Is there a particular server to find it on because as of midnight, it was still showing 44 as the latest on the North American server.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

only the install language fix is different to beta44.
clem will post beta45 when he has OKed it.

Boo
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kanishka »

Until now, this is the only problem I've found in the Beta 044: http://linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=15514
It's not KDE-related, though, because it was the same with Elyssa Main :(
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Boo wrote:only the install language fix is different to beta44.
Boo
OK, I may have found a bug, using 044. Sound was working fine in smplayer and kaffeine until yesterday, then it turned the volume way down so that I have to turn my speakers up full to just barely hear the video. Yet games (Ancient Empires Lux) continue to have sound at regular levels, as is the opening sound that plays when rebooting; it's just when playing videos or mp3's. I didn't do anything special to cause this so I can't reproduce it myself. Maybe others can see if video playing is OK or not. It's odd, though, that both smplayer and kaffeine (and amarork, I just found out) are affected; I didn't think they had much in common. I've tried everything I can think of to restore the sound but nothing works.
big_dog1968

Post by big_dog1968 »

Boo wrote:only the install language fix is different to beta44.
clem will post beta45 when he has OKed it.

Boo
So, if we have 44 installed and it is working, will there be no reason to install 45, or did the language problem, affect other aspects of the OS other than for languages?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

I've reinstalled 044 and will post again if I can duplicate the possible bug I mentioned earlier.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

Well, I've finished re-installing & configuring & adding all the packages I had added before the sound problem started happening, and everything is OK. So I don't know what happened but since I can't reproduce it, ignore it I suppose unless other people start reporting it.
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Post by locutus »

rec9140 wrote: HPLIP - Updated and Supports HP C7280 :D :D
I also have the HP C7280 but it wasn't listed in my install.

Which settings did you use? The TCP or IPP/HTTP? or Other???
rec9140

Post by rec9140 »

locutus wrote:I also have the HP C7280 but it wasn't listed in my install.

Which settings did you use? The TCP or IPP/HTTP? or Other???
I ran the HPLIP tool, selected network/wireless and it found the printer/fax/scanner fine, and then did its thing.

My is connected via the built in wireless.

Printing was fine. I did not have time to play with it for scanning or fax. I will test it again when I return home on the weekend.

The earlier version of the HPLIP was too old to have support for the C7280.

Return to “Software & Applications”