How to enable wireless? (Wireless tab grayed out)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintmintmint

How to enable wireless? (Wireless tab grayed out)

Post by mintmintmint »

This is a new laptop (Toshiba Satellite), running updated Mint 13 KDE. When I open Network Manager, the wireless tab is grayed out. Wired works fine.

sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
...No such device

ifconfig shows eth0 and lo only
Likewise for iwconfig

lspci does show 1 entry for the wireless hardware

On my old laptop, I have a button dedicated to enable/disable the wireless. On this new laptop, I press FN+F12 and on Windows it turns the wireless on/off (I see a LED turning on/off), but on Mint when I press FN+F12 nothing happens. Perhaps I need a keyboard driver? I don't know how find/install drivers on KDE though.

I found a suggestion to make sure wireless is enabled on Windows and then to boot into KDE, but this did not work for me.

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to enable wireless? (Wireless tab grayed out)

Post by hal8000 »

Mint 13 is 3 generations old, so may not work with your wireless chipset.

Post the output of:

lspci | grep -i net

You may have to upgrade to LM16 KDE
mintmintmint

Post by mintmintmint »

Here's my status:
* Installed 13 Maya. I could use Ethernet but not wireless. Upgraded to 16 Petra but X server won't start. There's a separate thread for that here.
* Installed 16 Petra. X server won't start.
* Booted 14 Nadia. Can not use wireless nor Ethernet. (?)
* I'm going to try 15 Olivia. However, I'm out of blank discs for now, so I'll install 15 Olivia later and do the lspci if the wireless is not there.
Thanks for the suggestion.
mintmintmint

Post by mintmintmint »

I managed to install 15. I will not upgrade to 16 because its X does not want to run on my machine. I installed all of the updates. Ethernet works, wireless doesn't. Here's the output of lspci | grep -i net

01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 07)
05:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8179 (rev 01)

Return to “Software & Applications”