Prevent Session Locking

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
wheeledgoat

Prevent Session Locking

Post by wheeledgoat »

Using Petra w/ KDE
3 users;
1. me - administrator - pw protected
2. kids
3. spouse

I'd like for the kids & wife to just click on their account and go straight into their session, no passwords.

I've succesfully created the nopasswdlogin group and added their accounts to it, so they're not prompted upon first login...

BUT

When switching users (and leaving a session active), upon returning to the session, it is locked and it requires a password.

I've tried:
1. System Settings -> Display & Monitor -> unchecked "Require Password" under screen locker
2. Power Management -> Advanced -> unchecked "lock session on resume"
3. dconf-editor org>gnome>desktop>lockdown - checked "disable-lock-screen" (I don't think this has any effect because "lock screen" is still on my LEAVE menu despite selecting this)

Help? Anyone? I've found many threads regarding this error on here when I searched, but they're all old (and we're not allowed to resurrect anything >6months old), and curiously they all seem to deal with earlier versions of Mint - don't see any of these threads recently. Has this been fixed and I'm just missing something that's right in front of my eyes?? hopefully?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Prevent Session Locking

Post by Pierre »

it is locked and it requires a password.
that may not be achievable as a Linux O/S is a more secure system.
- sometimes the <better> security does get in the way of your daily usage :(

you can set the password to just their name, - especially for the wife & the kids.
- as long as it is at least four characters long ..

the alternative, is to set the screen_saver - aka - session timer - to an hour,
- if they are going to be away any longer, then they should really log-off.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

it's funny you say that, their passwords are exactly that (for now!). guess i have to change them now that I said that...

I definitely appreciate your input, but I ain't buyin "Linux is more secure". If that were the reason, why are there settings (that don't work) to do what I'm wanting to do?
Dorji_04

Post by Dorji_04 »

Nice post!
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Shameless bump. I'm really stuck on this.

Currently, I'm digging around in the Package Manager & Software Manager, seeing if uninstalling some of the screen components will effect behavior.

I've also started perusing the files themselves, opening them with Kate and looking for "lock" entries, hoping to find some true/false statement that will help me out... but I'm in over my head.

Also: if an admin would care to move this thread, I fear I may have put this thread in the wrong place. What's the difference between:
>Board Index > Main Edition Support > Desktops & Window Managers > KDE (here)
and
>Board Index > Other Edition Support > KDE <-maybe I should have posted here?

Or, heck, maybe put it under Newbie Questions? more traffic there!

I'm really hoping someone can lend a hand with this. I'm a donor, I support Linux Mint, love it, and I do searches before clouding up the forums with unresearched questions. help, please!
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Welp, sure 'nuff - I was in over my head. I nuked my install by monkeying around with the screensaver installs. I uninstalled libkscreensaver5, in hopes of seeing what options I'd find using xscreensaver, but after doing so I noticed I couldn't switch users any more (clicking on "switch user" would do nothing). I undid my changes, reinstalled libkscreensaver5, and still couldn't switch users. Rebooted. I got to the login page where I could see all my users, but clicking on any of users only got me to a black screen with a [responsive] cursor in the middle. Forced reboot, tried all users, no beans. Oops.

I'm sure there was some way to repair the install, but at that point I'd forgotten all the different packages and crap I'd undone, redone and tried, and figured a fresh install would be good.

Just for fun, I selected to "log in automatically" when installing, in case that would change a setting unavailable later. No difference. I even tried leaving passwords off the newly created accounts, and unchecked "require passwords" (system settings) and "lock session on resume" (pwr mgmt) BEFORE adding the users to the 'nopasswdlogin' group... in case sequencing was the trick here and the settings were somehow bouncing off each other.

No change, fresh install is back to exactly the same problem - after switching users, active session cannot be resumed without entering password. Having no password makes it impossible to resume the session. To keep from having to enter the password twice, I've added ALL users to the "nopasswdlogon" group - so now, ironically, if the user isn't logged on, you can log in without entering a password. If they're already logged on, you have to enter a password. Ugh.
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Ok, welp, I give up.

Can someone at least verify for me that this is a recognized bug? That these settings don't work?

1. System Settings -> Display & Monitor -> "Require Password" checkbox under screen locker
2. Power Management -> Advanced -> "lock session on resume" checkbox
3. Have to enter password twice when resuming a session; once for login and once for screensaver.

I'm holding out hope it'll be fixed for 17. Thanks for reading!
default_user8

Post by default_user8 »

I found your post in hopes of setting up my laptop for my wife in the same manner. I only have one user account because she only uses the laptop to pay bills, but i don't want her to have to log back in if she closes the lid and comes back later. Unchecking the lock session on resume box under power management advanced tab worked for me. Your signature says you are using Mint, but not what release. I am using Maya becasue it is currently the last LTS version and I need my laptop to work everytime she uses it without any hiccups. Hope this helps
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Thanks for the reply; I'm using Petra KDE... and if I were a betting man, I'd say the session manager & KDE are to blame. Seems like Petra has the settings available, but somewhere between the setting and the system it's not changing the right thing. But what do I know? Certainly nothing about kernels or programming DE's.

I'm holding out hope for 17 this summer.... will reinstall then and see.

Interesting: on my most recent install, I checked "automatic logon" for my main account when I created it during the install process. Nowhere can you undo this! Despite having "autologin" unchecked on my profile (and actually checking it, saving, and then unchecking it to try and force the reset of the option), the system will automatically log me on every time! So obviously there's a layer of settings that is unavailable, or disconnected, from KDE's system settings.

Maybe Mint changed the names of some variables, or moved them. Here's to hoping it gets sorted out by 17!
wheeledgoat

Post by wheeledgoat »

Resurrecting this 1.5 year old thread. Sorry - but it's not only unresolved, but persists into 17.2! I had forgotten all I tried a year and a half ago, and was starting down the same exact path when I found my own thread on a search.

-I've added users to nopasswdlogin, which works - no pw prompt upon initial login

-users are still prompted for pw, however, when trying to resume an active session (after "switching users") despite:
1. System Settings -> Display & Monitor -> "Require Password" unchecked under screen locker
2. Power Management -> Advanced -> "lock session on resume" unchecked

Return to “Software & Applications”