Any Disadvantages to Using KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechGuyAndrew

Any Disadvantages to Using KDE?

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

I am seriously thinking about switching from using Cinnamon to KDE in Mint 16 on my personal computer. I have been testing Mint 16 KDE in a VM and I really like it better than Cinnamon as far as features and appearance. Besides the fact that it doesn't get updated by Mint developers until two months after an Ubuntu release, I am wondering if there are any disadvantages or compatability issues when using KDE. I read somewhere that KDE GUIs can only be programmed in C++ so will this affect software availability? Also, are there any other possible cons to using KDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aetion

Re: Any Disadvantages to Using KDE?

Post by Aetion »

Hi,
IMO, KDE is the best DE in the linux world right. And the version of KDE (4.11) shipped with petra has been the most stable release of KDE yet. Atleast for me.

From the point of view development, there are other programming language bindings besides C++ such as python (pykde), ruby, etc
Check out this link :
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages

KDE used to be horribly slow in earlier versions but since a few years its become pretty snappy. Especially window and virtual desktop management.
If you notice a few hiccups you can always configure the visual effects down to a fine grain level by turning them on or off.
mbohets

Post by mbohets »

Same here, I used KDE for years and I like it.
I tried other GUIs but always go back to KDE.
You can configure and tweak it as you like, but except for the background wallpaper
and the start menu, I don't change alot.
For me the Lancelot launcher is the One thing I would certainly install to replace the standard launcher,
it makes things more user friendly and it looks somewhat better.

For those who don't know Lancelot, have a look here
http://lancelot.fomentgroup.org/main
TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

I totally agree with both of you about KDE being the best DE. My only concern is with compatability issues with some programs.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

TechGuyAndrew wrote:I totally agree with both of you about KDE being the best DE. My only concern is with compatability issues with some programs.
Have to be more specific to what programs. I haven't had any program compatibility issues with any programs I've used.
But that is the key "Which Programs"? As lesser known and supported programs could be an issue and not only KDE specific.
TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

What I mean is in the Mint Software Manager, some programs are listed as/for KDE and also KDE has different default programs than Cinnamon or MATE. If I could still use the same programs I have been using in Cinnamon, I'll switch tomorrow.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

TechGuyAndrew wrote:If I could still use the same programs I have been using in Cinnamon, I'll switch tomorrow.
Most of them you can use with no problem. Just keep in mind that they will bring in dependencies with them (shouldn't hurt as long as you have plenty of space in your partition). Also keep in mind that a lot of them won't quite fit in with your KDE themes. To see a good example, open Synaptic Package Manager and you'll see it looks "out of place".
Mint Cinnamon 20.1

Return to “Software & Applications”