Connecting PS3 --> to --> KDE

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintmintmint

Connecting PS3 --> to --> KDE

Post by mintmintmint »

I'm considering getting a PS3. I want to display the PS3 output into my laptop display by means of KDE. (I don't want to display the KDE output into the PS3, I want the other way around.) I have never dealt with HDMI before. My new laptop has an HDMI port, but the specs don't say whether it is an input port or not. Is it possible? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
masterjet

Re: Connecting PS3 --> to --> KDE

Post by masterjet »

It relays on the hardware, 99% your HDMI port is for output only
mintmintmint

Post by mintmintmint »

OK, is there a way to use my laptop's display as display for a PS3, perhaps with special hardware? I don't have a TV and if I buy a PS3 I don't want to buy a TV too unless it is truly the cheapest option in which case I'd think about getting or not getting a PS3. What are my choices?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi MintMintMint, If your laptop has a "video in" port, like DVI, or VGA, or SVGA, or RCA rgb Composite, then you can buy low cost adapters from Amazon.com to connect your PS3 hdmi cable to your laptop's video in, see link below.

FYI: Linux Mint also has a wonderful program called "PS3 Media Server" which you can install that can communicate with a PS3 box or any PS3 compatible device including my Samsung DVD player to view or play music, video, or photos. I don't know if you can play games through the PS3 Media Server software in Linux Mint, but it might be able to do that too.

For Example: Amazon.com - Adapter $2.59 - converts hdmi to DVI
http://www.amazon.com/Importer520-Plate ... KVYQSG22BR

PS3 Media Server information and installation link
http://www.noobslab.com/2014/01/ps3-med ... linux.html

Of course, you and everyone else should have a TV anyway if only for emergency broadcasts through the airwaves.

List of LED TV's which can also be used as computer - game monitors from Amazon.com, an example Samsung 24inch TV- Monitor is only $148.23 (10-19-2014)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_c ... 2224369011
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
scryan

Post by scryan »

Basically your laptop port is output only.

Now I don't know you laptop, but yeah I would put $10 up that its output only.I know it can/does exist, but I don't think I have actually seen a laptop where you could just plug a video input in an use the screen. Some higher end PCs aimed at video editing may have a video input but then it would likely have to go through software and be displayed in a window on your computer.
You can buy it as an add on, that attached by USB... But they are typically used for video capture and will probably have at least a small amount of lag, especially ones that cost less then a TV the size of a laptop screen.

Cheapest thing would probably be to just buy a small HDTV which should be less then $100.
phd21 wrote:FYI: Linux Mint also has a wonderful program called "PS3 Media Server" which you can install that can communicate with a PS3 box or any PS3 compatible device including my Samsung DVD player to view or play music, video, or photos. I don't know if you can play games through the PS3 Media Server software in Linux Mint, but it might be able to do that too.
That is the exact opposite of what he is trying to do. He does not want computer stuff on PS3, he wants PS3 stuff on computer. The media server just makes the media on your computer available to networked devices so you can view it on something OTHER then your computer. He only has the computer and wants to use its screen.

Return to “Software & Applications”