Why does it do this?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Saruman_W

Why does it do this?

Post by Saruman_W »

I can't seem to wrap my head around why on earth it would do this... I go into the Software Manager and try to remove kmail because I don't use it. And before I even realize it, it starts wiping out EVERYTHING KDE related. kmail, konsole, plasma-desktop, dolphin, kate, ark, EVERYTHING!

WHY?? All I wanted to do was get rid of kmail yet it plows through practically the entire distro! Is this some kind of glitch or am I doing something wrong? All I literally did was start up the Software Manager, lookup kmail, click remove. This seems like a standard use-case I fail to see where I went wrong?

Now I'm stuck with trying to figure out what exactly was removed so I can put them all back on.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
clfarron4

Re: Why does it do this?

Post by clfarron4 »

Saruman_W wrote:I can't seem to wrap my head around why on earth it would do this... I go into the Software Manager and try to remove kmail because I don't use it. And before I even realize it, it starts wiping out EVERYTHING KDE related. kmail, konsole, plasma-desktop, dolphin, kate, ark, EVERYTHING!

WHY?? All I wanted to do was get rid of kmail yet it plows through practically the entire distro! Is this some kind of glitch or am I doing something wrong? All I literally did was start up the Software Manager, lookup kmail, click remove. This seems like a standard use-case I fail to see where I went wrong?
The problem is that KDE is a highly integrated desktop, and kmail is required by a KDE meta-package. Hence removing kmail removes the meta-package, which in turn removes everything else. Blame the KDE developers for making KDE that way.

Just so you know, it's the same in ArchLinux and several other of the major distributions.

Return to “Software & Applications”