Linux Mint 17 KDE?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fredhoud

Linux Mint 17 KDE?

Post by fredhoud »

:?: Is Linux Mint 17 KDE long term becomes available also at the end of this month? I do not see any Mint 17-RC release yet!

Thanks,
fredhoud
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WinterTroubles

Re: Liunx Mint 17 KDE?

Post by WinterTroubles »

The RC is in prerelease testing as we speak http://community.linuxmint.com/iso
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Usually the KDE and XFCE versions lag behind by about a month.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I so hope they test the system very well so we get the best ever release. Doesn't matter if it takes a bit longer, quality takes time.
As soon as there is a RC version start testing it guys, to report some errors which might still be in the system. The only way to make it even better.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Expect the RC somewhere in the next two weeks. The final release probably by end of June.
konjad

Post by konjad »

The waiting is killing me. But then, I'd rather wait longer and get less bugs than the other way around.
Deltalib

Post by Deltalib »

The same here: I'm waiting day to day if something is arriving...still (happy) working with Mint15 KDE. But now some things are outdatet and it's time to switch to a newer distro. But as it is already said: better to wait some days and weeks longer then fighting with some nasty early bugs ;-)

I'm soooooo excitet when 17 arrives :-) My thanks to the respectable people who makes that happen !

regards,
Mike
konjad

Re: Linux Mint 17 KDE?

Post by konjad »

Aaand, KDE went from being stuck at '33% tested' for one and a half week to 'rejected'. Looks like we'll have to keep waiting for quite a while.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

konjad wrote:quite a while
Days? Perhaps a week or so? Let's cool our horses here :) It is coming, but yes it takes actual work to build a release :wink:
MadClocker

Post by MadClocker »

I am having a hard time waiting...like Al Bundy waiting at the door for the Pizza guy.
I am a new Linux user..having tried it a few times but was never satisfied until I tried Mint 16 KDE 64 and am loving it, and want to shout from the rooftops to all that you do not have to feed the beast known as Microsoft..there is an alternative called Linux Mint and it comes in a few flavors, and the best of which is KDE.

I had a problem with Fedora 19 getting updates and it got stuck, and so I gave up on Fedora, and found this lovely Jewel called Linux Mint 16.

Now, I'm in love with Petra, but will have room in my heart (and hdd) for Qiana.

In My eyes, M$ is dead and will rot off my hdd when LM17 KDE64 comes out. Then I will be able to say, "I don't do Windows"
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

konjad wrote:Aaand, KDE went from being stuck at '33% tested' for one and a half week to 'rejected'. Looks like we'll have to keep waiting for quite a while.
Anybody know what is wrong with it? I installed Cinnamon some days ago in a virtual machine and placed KDE on top of it. Worked great. I know it is not the real thing but hey, it is Mint, it is 17, and it is kDE.
Deltalib

Post by Deltalib »

Good question: what is the Difference between Linux Mint17 KDE and Mint17 Cinnamon or Mate (apart from the additional libs for the corresponding desktop ) ? Because instead of waiting why not installing Cinnamon and installing KDE on Top as my predecessor wrote ?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Deltalib wrote:Because instead of waiting why not installing Cinnamon and installing KDE on Top as my predecessor wrote ?
Do whatever you want. When you install KDE on top of Cinnamon, aside from the downside of ending up with two file managers, two text editors, and so on, you get the default configuration and look as done by KDE devs. When you install Linux Mint 17 KDE you get the customization and fine-tuning done by Linux Mint devs.
konjad

Post by konjad »

I have 6 different GE installed right know (Xfce, Cinnamon, MATE, KDE, LXDE and Fluxbox) and it works fine, I just stay with Xfce (which was the Mint's original, as I installed Mint Xfce Edition) because I don't want to reconfigure everything again before switching to Mint 17. The only drawback is that I have like 4 different terminals and some other abundance of applications I don't bother uninstalling.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

Deltalib wrote:Good question: what is the Difference between Linux Mint17 KDE and Mint17 Cinnamon or Mate (apart from the additional libs for the corresponding desktop ) ? Because instead of waiting why not installing Cinnamon and installing KDE on Top as my predecessor wrote ?
Mint KDE has some subtle changes. You can try it in a virtual machine if you like it.

I'm using kubuntu 1404 until Mint KDE is released. I've been using it since beta in March, and it's fairly stable. I'll switch to Mint KDE in July when it's out.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

I have done that also, using Kubuntu 14.04 but it was terrible. Things which just work standard in Mint don't work in Kubuntu, I had all sorts of crashes (now or in the past???) so I decided to use Cinnamon and installed KDE on top of it. Like it much more. Now I am, just as you all are, waiting for the release of the real Mint edition: the KDE one.
Anyone an idea why testing went wrong? What went wrong? Interesting to know.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

DeMus wrote:I have done that also, using Kubuntu 14.04 but it was terrible. Things which just work standard in Mint don't work in Kubuntu, I had all sorts of crashes (now or in the past???) so I decided to use Cinnamon and installed KDE on top of it. Like it much more. Now I am, just as you all are, waiting for the release of the real Mint edition: the KDE one.
Anyone an idea why testing went wrong? What went wrong? Interesting to know.
I don't know Kubuntu 14.04 has been fine for me. I agree that it comes with less applications installed by default, but it's still pretty stable. Of all the Mint editions, KDE and XFCE are very similar to their Ubuntu version. Cinnamon and Mate are obviously much more different,
konjad

Post by konjad »

And it still goes wrong. To know why, just go to the iso page, click on a particular version and see devs' comments, additionally check the list of steps they do and see which the iso didn't pass.
scryan

Post by scryan »

Deltalib wrote:Good question: what is the Difference between Linux Mint17 KDE and Mint17 Cinnamon or Mate (apart from the additional libs for the corresponding desktop ) ? Because instead of waiting why not installing Cinnamon and installing KDE on Top as my predecessor wrote ?
I did, its basically find.

You probably introduce the opportunity to problems or to have things conflict with each other, but considering you can basically install any desktop environment you want there is no reason you can't do this.

The pain is removing all the old stuff. You will probably end up with a less clean install. I had to re-install software manager from the command line to make it work again.

But if you don't mind messing about, install KDE...there are a few versions, look it up, you probably don't want the minimal one, but the full comes with a lot of extra stuff. You want the one with the basic set of apps at least. Then uninstall mate-desktop (again not sure if that is the exact name). I went through afterwords in synaptics and marked for removal anything that had gnome, mate or GDM in its name.

I had to fix one or two minor things, but its been running fine for a few weeks now.
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

A on packages:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/135267/w ... e-packages

I would install kde-plasma-desktop or kede-standard. kde-full has way too much stuff.

After that, try applying mint mint-meta-kde to see what happens.

Return to “Software & Applications”