[SOLVED] Linux Mint 17 KDE Desktop Icons

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
milpat

[SOLVED] Linux Mint 17 KDE Desktop Icons

Post by milpat »

Hi everybody,

I'm new to Linux Mint (previously openSUSE), I use Linux Mint 17 (64 bits) and would like to desactivate the (KDE) desktop icons and use only the folder widget (I like clean desktop). Is there somebody who can help me with my hum, simple problem ;-)

Thanks

Pat
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Linux Mint 17 KDE Desktop Icons

Post by gtsfer »

I'm not totally familiar with KDE. But try "Desktop Settings" in Control Center. You can disable Computer, Home, Trash, etc. from here.
Desktop Settings.png
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

I'm not at my computer so I don't remember the labels exactly, but if you right click on the desktop there should be an option like "[something] settings" and from there should be a way to change the type of desktop to "Folder view".
milpat

Solution to 'Linux Mint 17 KDE Desktop Icons'

Post by milpat »

Thank you very much to both of you. What I was looking for was exactly what Zalbor suggested. Thank You again for snappy answers.

Pat
oldal

Re: Solution to 'Linux Mint 17 KDE Desktop Icons'

Post by oldal »

milpat wrote:Thank you very much to both of you. What I was looking for was exactly what Zalbor suggested. Thank You again for snappy answers.

Pat
Tried the same solution. I was disappointed the linking applicaitons showed in the plasmoid folder and on Desktop - the "Desktop" keeps record of links as well as the desktop image itself. To overcome this I made a new directory, named it "mydesktop" and connected its view to the plasmoid. All seem well now.

My OS is linuxmint-17-KDE-64bit, which appears to be the same as Pat's. Of course there is linuxmint-17-mate-64bit, which allows the user to swap from gnome like desktop to KDE and back. There are differences between "linuxmint-17-KDE-64bit" and "linuxmint-17-mate-64bit with KDE desktop".
Last edited by oldal on Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milpat

Re: Solution to 'Linux Mint 17 KDE Desktop Icons'

Post by milpat »

oldal wrote:
milpat wrote:Thank you very much to both of you. What I was looking for was exactly what Zalbor suggested. Thank You again for snappy answers.

Pat
Tried the same solution. I was disappointed the linking applicaitons showed in the plasmoid folder and on Desktop - the "Desktop" keeps record of links as well as the desktop image itself. To overcome this I made a new directory, named it "mydesktop" and connected its view to the plasmoid. All seem was well now.

My OS is the same as Pat's.

OldAl.
You're right,

I just noticed that I omited a little detail and I am very sorry about it. The layout I choosed from the 'Desktop Settings' was 'Default Desktop' ond not 'Folder'. With this layout, the link disapear form the desktop itself.

Sorry about that.

Pat

Return to “Software & Applications”