(SOLVED) Volume Control gone missing

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LinuxForever

(SOLVED) Volume Control gone missing

Post by LinuxForever »

I was recording audio from YouTube with Audacity and the volume control on the desktop panel disappeared. I looked at Add Application to Panel and Add Applet to Panel but I can't find a volume control anywhere. How do I get the volume control back on the desktop panel? Thanks for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Volume Control gone missing

Post by proxima_centauri »

Under add to panel I see "Volume Control"
Are you running Gnome?
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I'm not using Gnome. I'm using the KDE desktop.
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

Is there something called Sound Mixer in Add Applet to Panel?
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

There is Sound Mixer and I'm using that until I can find out how to get the Volume Control back.
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

I tried to do what you did but I can't see anything that would let me do what you did. Pulseaudio has a volume control but I don't think Pulseaudio is installed in Mint KDE. I looked at Systems Settings>Sound & Multimedia>Sound System>Hardware>Select the audio device. Pulesaudio isn't there.

I installed Gnome into the KED version of Mint. I haven't had any problems with the volume control in Gnome. May be there is some kind of problem with the volume control in the KDE version. I don't know.

I've found it's best to use the flagship version of a distro no matter which GUI desktop the distro uses. In the case of Mint that means using the version with Gnome. Installing Gnome into the KDE version is really the thin end of the wedge.

When version 6 is posted I think I'll do a clean install of the Gnome version.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The KDE applet you are looking for is called "Sound Mixer". You can also restart it by starting Kmix from the menu.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
LinuxForever

Post by LinuxForever »

Good grief, I put Kmix in the panel and a right click on it didn't show all the settings. I had to remove Kmix from the panel and click on it in the menus. I could click on Settings and Configue Kmix then. Enable system volume was already ticked.

Thanks for your help guys. The volume control is back on the panel now.

Return to “Software & Applications”