NFS permissions nag

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
birdog

NFS permissions nag

Post by birdog »

I have a Freenas drive using ZFS and had do upgrade to 9.x (flash drive failure), imported volumes but cant enable CIFS wich turned out to be a good thing as it gave me an excuse to use NFS (all my computer are linux so not sure why i didnt before). It is so much faster when opening a folder with over 500 files in it and transfer speeds apear to be faster also. Got is mounted and mount on boot using fstab with the followig line;

192.168.20.200:/mnt/NAS18/ /home/pat/Nas nfs defaults 0 0

It will copy fine and the permissions i think are correct as i trust all computers on local network so all have admin access (all use same credentials for nas drive) but for every file i copy to the NAS i get a popup "Could not change permissions for /home/pat/Nas/Temp/testfile.txt" and only get this when copying to the NAS drive. File does copy fine and when copy back to computer does not get nag and that file is also fine.

My question is there a way to get rid of that popup as sometimes i copy thousands of files and they copy but then i have to close a thousand nag popups. BTW is do use Dolphin to copy but have tested with Krusader and get the nag screen there also. Is there something in system notifycations or can i change the fstab file to get rid of the nag screens?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ktheking

Re: NFS permissions nag

Post by ktheking »

The problem lies in the fact that files and folders are being tried to copy whilst during the process ownerships can't be set because of non synced OS's (uid's / gid's).
Every binary or process that does try it will report problems , UNLESS you're using a tool that's not trying to do this. Rsync can be one of those.
You can try grsync ,which gives you a gui.
The other alternative is to create the user and groups from you linux mint system onto the Freenas box , or use an ldap that's shared between both. This solution is the pro solution :-).
birdog

Post by birdog »

Thanks for the reply and info and rsync is a good work around, had freefilesync installed and could use that too is suppose. I did try and match the uid with freenas but when i created one is uses 1002 for it instead of my uid although i dont fully understand BSD/FreeNas and as btrfs is about production ready will create btrfs nas soon anyway. Love the idea of using LDAP but do not know much about it, do you know of a good guide on it or where i could learn to use it. Freenas supports it i know.
ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Try this instead of freenas : clearos community version

http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html

It comes with a lot of features ,and provides more then the freenas. It even provides LDAP ,and active directory , etc.

Return to “Software & Applications”