Some issues I have since I discovered Linux mint [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
laurentdebian

Some issues I have since I discovered Linux mint [SOLVED]

Post by laurentdebian »

Hi all, I am new here ( to linux mint).
I just install a linux min 17 and I use kde. I will Briefly expose some issues I experience in case anyone can help me (that would be great..)

1) Keyboard and localisations isssues
Informations : I use a spanish keyboard, and, my system langage is french.
in system sestings > Input devices > keyboard > layout ....
I choose spanish keyboard, which according to the preview is exactly what I have but
a) I cannot reach the characters usally obtain with ALT GR ( which contains a lot of important symbol such as "at" ...)
b) with Konsole I cannot type any accent I should be able to do ( they are working in tty1 from ctr+ alt+ F1) ... how can I adopt the same keyboard config in Konsole as in the "ttyn" ?

2) apps that need root privilegies not working properly
some pogram requiring root privileges now refuse to work properly because I " do not provide authentication·" Why they do not ask my password ?? (I will not launch everythings with kdesudo) this progam ( apper, muon , some system config stuffs...) are exactly likely to do root stuff.
It seems a KDE programs specific pb as synaptic works well

3) GTK --QTcurve issue
I instal qtcurve to get a better integration of the gtk programs but some of them desperately stay super ugly ( i.e. synaptic maybe there is something to do with the root user )

If anyone Can help me with any point that would be great (I did not want to wrote · 3 messages)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cobber

Re: Some issues I have since I discovered Linux mint

Post by Cobber »

laurentdebian wrote:
some pogram requiring root privileges now refuse to work properly because I " do not provide authentication·" Why they do not ask my password ??
I had the same problem. I changed from MDM to KDM and it fixed the issue. Just install KDM via Synaptic.

Don't ask me why it worked, I have no idea - it just did.
laurentdebian

Post by laurentdebian »

Times to make a bilan after a few weeks of using testing Linux Mint with KDE,
1) Keyboard and localisations issues
Information : I use a Spanish keyboard, and, my system langage is french.
in system setings > Input devices > keyboard > layout ....
I choose Spanish keyboard, which according to the preview is exactly what I have but
a) I cannot reach the characters usually obtain with ALT GR ( which contains a lot of important symbol such as "at" ...)
b) with Konsole I cannot type any accent I should be able to do ( they are working in tty1 from ctr+ alt+ F1) ... how can I adopt the same keyboard config in Konsole as in the "ttyn" ?
1)b) was easy I my regions was Chile while my language was FR ( and not Spanish) and it seems to have make a mess ( the system was tryng to generate FR_Cl or something like that) now it works fine. Still it is likely a bug since you should be ble to choose a region and a language which are not "bounded"
1)a) almost solved : for a weird reason my ALT GR key is not my lvl 3 switch key in the ( I figure it out with xev and xmodmap) so runnning

Code: Select all

xmodmap -e 'keycode 108 = ISO_Level3_Shift'
solves my problem. However right now I have to do it each session. I still don know if I will use a script to launch it automatically or trying to investigate xkb to see why the function "modifier_mapping" in /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/level3 do not behave properly. likely a bug...
some pogram requiring root privileges now refuse to work properly because I " do not provide authentication·" Why they do not ask my password ?? (I will not launch everythings with kdesudo) this progam ( apper, muon , some system config stuffs...) are exactly likely to do root stuff.
It seems a KDE programs specific pb as synaptic works wel
As I said before I did not have the package polkit kde agent install... solved.
3) GTK --QTcurve issue
I instal qtcurve to get a better integration of the gtk programs but some of them desperately stay super ugly ( i.e. synaptic maybe there is something to do with the root user )
I went back to oxygen (fare more beautiful IMO) and I give a try to kde-gtk-config which IS UTTER CRAP. Trying to set the themes for gtk application result (for me) in changing the entire theme of my system (to be clear including lde apps like dolphin and kick off .....) in something way less beautiful ( good bye oxygen hi oxygen-crappy-gtk); changing my system theme normally twice to get back to oxygen to the trick .bug
Here I am now, keep trying to have everything neat.
cheers.

PS: ( troll on)
I have to say I am not particularly impressed by Mint (sorry), I come from debian and yes it is cool to have flash and stuff like that working out of the box in your browser (which I almost forgot the actual name is firefox) but I have encounter a good amount of bug which make mint not easy to use ( some come from the kernel it self like my usb mouse not working...., but , I struggle have a keyboard working properly and so on). At the end of the day I am not sure I see the point in Using mint since this bug(s) issues are likely to be solved as easily maybe more on debian ( or at least you king of sign to get your hand dirty when you install debian so somehow it is less frustrating than in a distro User friendly) . Finally the sad conclusion is that I still cannot say to people ( i.e. my grilfriend ) that Linux is now as easy and reliable than the f.... Manzana. troll off
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: don't be shy, font size 50 is too small, make it 85, 85 is small, but readable
hotpepperguy

Post by hotpepperguy »

laurentdebian wrote:
PS: ( troll on)
I have to say I am not particularly impressed by Mint (sorry), I come from debian and yes it is cool to have flash and stuff like that working out of the box in your browser (which I almost forgot the actual name is firefox) but I have encounter a good amount of bug which make mint not easy to use ( some come from the kernel it self like my usb mouse not working...., but , I struggle have a keyboard working properly and so on). At the end of the day I am not sure I see the point in Using mint since this bug(s) issues are likely to be solved as easily maybe more on debian ( or at least you king of sign to get your hand dirty when you install debian so somehow it is less frustrating than in a distro User friendly) . Finally the sad conclusion is that I still cannot say to people ( i.e. my grilfriend ) that Linux is now as easy and reliable than the f.... Manzana. troll off

I am sorry to hear that you find Mint so intolerable. I, too, came from years of using Debian, and I find Mint to be considerably less frustrating. In Debian, it is too easy to mess something up, then spend hours cleaning up after yourself. Sometimes I would update my system, and find it broken after reboot. Finding the proper drivers for a system with bleeding edge hardware can be a nightmare, as well. I find that the occasional bug in LM really doesn't "bug" me nearly as much as all the tedious hours that go into setting up Debian. Don't get me wrong, I use Debian on several older systems, and it is great. I also use Slackware on old systems, which is even more of a bugger sometimes. But when it comes to your personal computer, which you want to work when you need it, and not need to fart around for hours fixing it... Mint is the best bet, IMO. I don't know what these game-breaking bugs are for you, but I have not found any that can't be promptly squashed beneath my feet. Obviously, I respect your opinion, but it is very one-sided. I figured I would provide the second half of the story, so that people are not immediately put off of Mint. Debian and Mint both have their advantages, as well as their disadvantages.
Last edited by karlchen on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: corrected [quote] [/quote] tags
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

KDE and keyboards..
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about865.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306560
  • Muskrat post..
    There is a keyboard map called "USA International with dead keys" add that to your keyboard layout. With that layout you just type normal when you need the accent such as ' or ~, you just hit that key, nothing will appear on the screen (hince dead keys), until you hit the vowel, which will then place your spanish charactor with the vowel.
--last link from last post..

Other keys data..
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=37658
https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum.php
--that could have been useful: Ubuntu's KDE version and their forums..

Muon..
http://web2unu.ro/gsoc2014-muon-and-sudo-week2/
--seems he may be Spanish, at least I think that from his name
  • Anyway, problem can always be a particular application, not really to do with any Linux distribution, in that they cannot guarantee the plethora of apps available will all work correctly or perfectly..
    --that process is always down to the application developers..
That's as far as I can take it today.
laurentdebian

Post by laurentdebian »

To hot pepper guy :
Sorry, I never said mint is "intolerable" actually it is quite neat (I am now using lmde which seems to be a good compromise for me) was just saying it is not much particularly with less issues than a standard debian but just IMO. Using debian a lot of time I did broke my sys once in a while but it was with sid (unstable/testing) and often my own fault. (ok aptitude just erase all my kde that's fine :D ). I find hard to believe our system broke often with a stable debian. But let's not start a troll

to drHu :
thanks a lot my keyboard works fine now [out of the box] in lmde ..

I still have a question :
My mouse ( TTesport themaltake ) works nicely on the live dvd but not on the installed version of lmde (on the standard mint it was working with mate or cinnamon but not on kde [unless I already logged in cinnamon/mate then logout and log in kde]) I am still trying to figure this out....
anyone know the difference between the way to handle mouse in the live cd and in the installed version of cinnamon or the difference between the lmde and mint version ? where should i start ? seems to be hard...
M4he

Post by M4he »

laurentdebian wrote: 3) GTK --QTcurve issue
Synaptic runs as the root user and their style settings. Use

Code: Select all

kdesudo systemsettings
and set up the same settings you did on the normal user (widget style, color etc.) to fix this.

Return to “Software & Applications”