Cursor gets "locked" in a window

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
resuni

Cursor gets "locked" in a window

Post by resuni »

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place, because I've been able to reproduce this issue in both MATE and KDE.

I have this really bizarre problem where I sometimes cannot click into a new window. The cursor visibly moves across the screen, but when I click something happens in the previous window I was in. It's like an invisible cursor was left behind in the previous window, even though it's visible on other parts of the screen. This will also happen on the KDE toolbars. Minimizing and maximizing the window I have control of usually allows me to regain control of other windows, but it's only temporary.

Like I said, I tried switching from MATE to KDE to resolve this, but the problem seems to be exactly the same in KDE. I also removed my video card and switch to the Intel Integrated GPU, since I have had weird issues with AMD cards on Linux in the past. Problem still exists.

The only other forum topics I've found that are even similar to my problem all suggest to submit a bug report. I thought I would try to post here to resolve it before I did that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm running LMDE if that matters.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LindseyD.
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cursor gets "locked" in a window

Post by LindseyD. »

The term for highlighting the window is "focus."

At first I thought your problem was pretty bizarre too, but when I googled linux mouse click switch focus it turns out to be fairly common.

With any luck, it's just a system settings issue. FWIW, on my KDE under Window Behaviour the Policy is Click to Focus and the Focus Stealing Prevention Level is set to Low.

Hope this helps.
Mint17 KDE

Return to “Software & Applications”