Problems running Google Earth on older HP Pavilion

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

Problems running Google Earth on older HP Pavilion

Post by DeMus »

Hi,

I installed LinuxMint KDE 17.1-32bits on a friends older HP Pavilion desktop computer. He used to use Windows XP but needed to change since the banks don't allow internet-banking with XP anymore.
When I asked him what he does with his PC the answer was:
E-mail through a website (webbased like Gmail and Yahoo)
Internet-banking
That's about it.
Well, since he "only" uses a webbrowser and obviously needs security I persuaded him to make the move to Linux. KDE is my favorite so to being able to help him better (the man is 72 already) I chose for KDE. Not the fastest on his computer but speed is not important here.
After installation he said he also likes to have Google Earth. Oops. I know this program is not the easiest to install.
I tried a version but when I started it the message was: Graphics card is too old. Strange since running XP gave no problems with Earth.
I copied some info about his graphics card:

Graphics: Card: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller
X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1680x1050@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 915G x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 10.1.3

CPU: Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB flags: (nx sse sse2 sse3) clocked at 2932.227 MHz

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)

When looking at the above details, is there something wrong here, is there a newer driver I should get and install (please tell me where to find it), or should I install something else to make it work? Who can help me with this? Or is maybe a different DE a solution to improve general speed? Does Mate, Cinnamon or XFCE a different Intel driver on board?

I sure hope there is a solution or the man has to return to Windows and fill his computer with anti-virus, anti-adware, anti-malware programs.

Thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Problems running Google Earth on older HP Pavilion

Post by richyrich »

Check this forum post from the Tutorial section :

How to install Google Earth for an old computer
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Thanks richyrich, I will try this. Will come back here, hopefully with good news.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Thanks again richyrich, I managed to do a remote install of Google Earth using the webpage you mentioned. Used Teamviewer to take over the remote PC and now it works.
Great. Thank you.

Return to “Software & Applications”