synaptics multitouch

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
salixman

synaptics multitouch

Post by salixman »

Hey, I just bought an acer aspire timeline. It has the synaptics multitouch touchpad, and i did some research and found out that there are ways to get the multitouch support in linux. I tried the terminal commands, but to no avail. Then i updated the kernel to 2.6.30, which is supposed to have native multitouch support. Still nothing. Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Re: synaptics multitouch

Post by Boo »

I would look for a newer synaptics deb or you may have to compile from source code.
ksysnaptics is the kde UI for it.
the diver may not be as up to date as we would like.

Boo
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
hernando

Post by hernando »

hey Salixman,
I'm sorry, I can't really help you with the problem, My interest goes in another direction.
I'm planning to buy myself an Acer Aspire Timeline too, I think the 14" one.
What's your opinion about that machine ? Does it run good with Mint ? The graphis drivers, sound, etc... does all of this run smoothly with Mint ? Or you needed to do a lot of installs and searches to make it work correctly?

In order to not change the topic of this thread, could you send me a private message?

Thank you!
Hernán.
salixman

Post by salixman »

Obviously, the multitouch doesn't seem to be working, but that's not to big an issue. I love this laptop, it's much faster than it was with vista. My only issues are that you won't get as much battery life, mostly related to the screen brightness. I can't change it at all. I'm not sure that this is an acer timeline related problem, and I think it's more of a KDE 4.2 problem. If anyone has a solution to that I would be very grateful. For the meantime I'll keep looking around to see if there's an answer to the screen brightness issue. Oh, the other issue is that if I press the touchpad lock button it will lock the touchpad, but then i can't unlock it without restarting. Also not an issue.
salixman

Post by salixman »

Sorry, I missed the last part of that message, Hernan. If you have any other questions we'll make it private.
hernando

Post by hernando »

Hi, I finally bought the Acer 4810 Timeline.
It's indeed a great machine, and the battery life is THE best pro.

In Mint 7 Gnome almost everything works out of the box, except for the multitouch as you said, the screen brightness and the "lock pad" button.

For the brightness I found the solution here:http://wwww.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1217421 but it only worked in Gnome. I wasn't able to make it work in Mint 7 KDE. In Gnome it works great.

Well thank you for you messages telling your experience with this machine, it definitely helped me decide.

Bye!

Return to “Software & Applications”