How do you start Synergy at startup with KDE4?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
distro hopper

How do you start Synergy at startup with KDE4?

Post by distro hopper »

I've long been using Synergy with GNOME installs, but I just switched to the KDE version of Mint and can't seem to get Synergy up and running automatically. I tried following the instructions from the Ubuntu wiki and the Synergy homepage, but the instructions seem out of date for KDE 4.2/4.3. I'd like to know how to get it started at the login screen and after I login. Server and client methods would both be appreciated. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distro hopper

Re: How do you start Synergy at startup with KDE4?

Post by distro hopper »

I told you, I tried that page:

There is no kdm/Xsetup, and no kdm/Xstartup in /etc/X11 in KDE 4. Can I just create these files and follow the instructions at http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/autostart.html ?? As for an 'answer' to my problem, I'd like to know if you actually tried it before (and it works) or if you are just posting the first link that came up on google.
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

distro hopper wrote: As for an 'answer' to my problem, I'd like to know if you actually tried it before (and it works) or if you are just posting the first link that came up on google.
Given the normal dumb questions on this forum I assumed that you might not have found the Synergy autostart page at the Synergy website that you pointed to and that is why I kindly pointed you to it - but no, I had not tried it myself.

In fact, the second link I found on Google is this one: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Syner ... tAutostart at login screen , which is what I think you need. But of course, had you actually taken any initiative I'm sure you could have found that link yourself. But then it appears you don't actually want help from people trying to find what you could have found yourself....
distro hopper

Post by distro hopper »

To answer my own question:

With GDM, there's 3 scripts that run at startup:
/etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default
/etc/X11/gdm/PostLogin/Default
/etc/X11/gdm/Sessions/Default

My problem was that I was looking for the respective KDE scripts under /etc/X11 but they are located in /etc/kde4/kdm and they are:

/etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup
/etc/kde4/kdm/Xstartup
/etc/kde4/kdm/Xseession

Return to “Software & Applications”