KDE 4.4 on the way

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Airdack

Re: KDE 4.4 on the way

Post by Airdack »

At first I also had problems with the graphical corruption and some sluggishness on the desktop, but some new packages were available ... so I updated them and now the login is normal! And the desktop is smooth again! So I highly recommend everyone to see if you got any updates left, they seem to fix the problems mentioned in this thread :)
turin13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by turin13 »

Today i get about 40 new updates, and now all seems to be done - KDE 4.4 works well :)
nico

Post by nico »

finally i decided to upgrade to 4.4 and everything seemed to be ok.
unfortunately i realized that i had to use Xrender instead of openGL in order to have desktop effects enabled.
morever , when i try to start some 3d applicatios e.g. secondlife, i get a message 'window creation error' !
being quite a newbie , i wonder what is going wrong with it.

thanks
Nico

amd phenom II 955
asus m4a77td pro
4 gb ram 1333
msi geforce 8800gt last drive version 190.42
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Same here. Applied the new updates and the login screen went back to normal. Good to know others were seeing this as well and that the fix was so quick in coming. I did go into the Login manager and changed the login screen back to Mint 8. The transition from the 4.4 login screen to the Helena KDE splash was a bit too abrupt for my taste. :shock:

KDE4.4 seems to be running fairly well now with only a few minor UI glitches here and there.

Question: For me, "User Management" has no interface, nothing but a gray box with a rather long error message in it which I can't copy out and certainly can't type out correctly. So I'm attempting to upload a screenshot of the offending window (this is my first attachment to the forum so bear with me on this).

When I close the User Management window the KDE bug report dialog pops up and tells me that KDE control module crashed (which it didn't since it's System Settings is still there and fully usable) and lists some debug data that's basically not usable or so it says. A bit strange since GDB is installed but maybe I don't understand these things that well?

For what it's worth, here's the crash info
Application: KDE Control Module (kcmshell4), signal: Segmentation fault
[KCrash Handler]
#6 0x00c5a0a4 in KAboutData::~KAboutData() () from /usr/lib/libkdecore.so.5
#7 0x020388e0 in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/PyKDE4/kdecore.so
#8 0x0203892b in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/PyKDE4/kdecore.so
#9 0x04dbda3b in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/sip.so
#10 0x04dbda71 in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/sip.so
#11 0x013826cd in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#12 0x013655c4 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#13 0x04dbba33 in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/sip.so
#14 0x04dbc30f in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/sip.so
#15 0x04dbda79 in ?? () from /usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/sip.so
#16 0x013826cd in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#17 0x013507ea in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#18 0x013ee1d4 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#19 0x013ee1e4 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#20 0x013ee1e4 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#21 0x013638d9 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#22 0x01366404 in PyDict_SetItem () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#23 0x013665ff in PyDict_SetItemString () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#24 0x013d8f30 in PyImport_Cleanup () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#25 0x013e5c55 in Py_Finalize () from /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0
#26 0x00f84220 in ?? () from /usr/lib/kde4/kpythonpluginfactory.so
#27 0x011571f0 in qt_call_post_routines() () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#28 0x02f2ef88 in QApplication::~QApplication() () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#29 0x00783a3a in KApplication::~KApplication() () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
#30 0x00feab60 in kdemain () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kcmshell4.so
#31 0x080485cb in _start ()
Could someone else would try to bring up User Management in System Settings and see could duplicate this? I'm the only user on this computer so I don't know if this is a Mint problem or a KDE4.4 problem as I've not used User management before Helena KDE.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

So, this is 4.4? New Login screen kind of cute, got it through two reboots so it must be stable. Can't say much for the big bar for Plasmoids, and I can't get rid of the cashew (AGAIN) sigh. I do appreciate the work done on Linux Mint 8 KDE64. Thanks to Boo and his cohorts. 4.4 fixed the problems with the things not recognized in System Settings/Desktop/all effects. A few menu changes. Overall, it works.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bobcollard wrote:So, this is 4.4? New Login screen kind of cute, got it through two reboots so it must be stable. Can't say much for the big bar for Plasmoids, and I can't get rid of the cashew (AGAIN) sigh. I do appreciate the work done on Linux Mint 8 KDE64. Thanks to Boo and his cohorts. 4.4 fixed the problems with the things not recognized in System Settings/Desktop/all effects. A few menu changes. Overall, it works.
bobcollard - Could you check to see if User Management under System settings works for you? If you note my previous post, I'm having problems with it. I did some searching around and it seems that Kubuntu users who upgraded to KDE 4.4 are also seeing this. I'd like to confirm the problem on Helena KDE as well.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

kmb42vt wrote: bobcollard - Could you check to see if User Management under System settings works for you? If you note my previous post, I'm having problems with it. I did some searching around and it seems that Kubuntu users who upgraded to KDE 4.4 are also seeing this. I'd like to confirm the problem on Helena KDE as well.
Nope two errors, see screen shots cropped below:
User Management.png
kde control Manager.png
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bobcollard wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: bobcollard - Could you check to see if User Management under System settings works for you? If you note my previous post, I'm having problems with it. I did some searching around and it seems that Kubuntu users who upgraded to KDE 4.4 are also seeing this. I'd like to confirm the problem on Helena KDE as well.
Nope two errors, see screen shots cropped below:
Thanks Bob, I only posted the debug info from the KDE crash reporter rather than the actual screenshot of it. Glad it's not just me seeing this. Been Googling around and found a few other users of Kubuntu Karmic who installed KDE 4.4 and had the same problem but so far no solutions have cropped up. One post on a KDE mailing list indicated it might be a python problem ("again" he said). I'll keep looking (maybe post this on the KDE forums?) but the problem's a bit beyond my current experience.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Also having error when starting k-mail Nepomuk not running so Akonadi shuts down. Thinking of going back to Thunderbird.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

bobcollard wrote:Also having error when starting k-mail Nepomuk not running so Akonadi shuts down. Thinking of going back to Thunderbird.
First thing I do with any KDE distro. Dump Kmail and extract the latest Thunderbird (3.0) tarball into it's own directory. From there it's easily integrated into the system just by editing the path in the Thunderbird menu item then set as default mail client when I start it the first time. I usually set up a separate TB profile via the profile manager also. That way I can just haul the profile around with me if I change distros.

If I remember correctly you can just remove Akonadi and Kmail will run fine without it. Same problem existed with Mandriva I think or maybe it was PCLinuxOS with KDE 4.3.2 installed. Anyway, Akonadi is missing a few dependencies which is why it dies although I can recall which ones right of the top of my head. It's a long term problem with KDE4.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

Never understood why they came up with Akonadi when sql was already the main database. Anyway, I'm using Thunderbird now.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

You're not the only one who couldn't understand that. There were some fairly vocal users of other KDE based distros who questioned the use of Akonadi for storing Kmail and other PIM apps data.

By the way, I just tried firing up Kmail and the Akonadi server started okay but it warned that it needed Nepomuk running (which it isn't by default...makes sense, right?) for indexing and DB search functions etc, etc--bleh. Thunderbird 3.0 is light years ahead of this stuff, has it's own SQLite DB and indexing/search functions built right in. Personal opinion of course.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick55

Post by mick55 »

I followed Kstorm's upgrade instructions and I'm now running KDE4.4 with no issues. :D

Thanks very much Kstorm.

cheers
mick
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

For anyone who's interested about the User Management problem, I've learned that KDE itself doesn't ship with a user management module but rather the distro provides a plugin which adds the "User Management" module into KDE's "Sysytem Settings". Apparently KDE 4.4 is not picking up this plugin.

Unfortunately, I don't know what this particular "plugin" is at the moment or how to fix this. Just wanted to add that it's apparently not a KDE problem to the discussion.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

For anyone who's interested about the User Management problem, I've learned that KDE itself doesn't ship with a user management module but rather the distro provides a plugin which adds the "User Management" module into KDE's "Sysytem Settings". Apparently KDE 4.4 is not picking up this plugin.

Unfortunately, I don't know what this particular "plugin" is at the moment or how to fix this. Just wanted to add that it's apparently not a KDE problem to the discussion.
I would look for an update to hopefully resolve this.
Steely

Post by Steely »

There will probably be several updates to 4.4 over the next while. The packager for the kubuntu ppa is pretty fast on getting the packages out. One downside is they don't get much testing. I tried the 4.4 upgrade from the ppa backport and will wait for them to be released with bug fixes etc to the kubuntu backports by the kubuntu devs.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

You are probably right Steely. Everything else seems to work and this is not really hurting anything for the moment. I will just wait and see what develops.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I've been keeping the Kubuntu backports repo checked myself since I upgraded and the updates have been coming in on a daily basis. Since I rather like 4.4 (seems quite a bit snappier than 4.3.5 as well as having the extra features/functions) and I'm the sole user I'll keep applying the updates and see what happens. Rather fun actually.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I'll keep applying the updates and see what happens. Rather fun actually.
I was thinking the same thing! :D I asked about this on the Kubuntu forum too, maybe someone knows what is going on with this.

Edit: kmb42vt, I saw your post on the KDE forum when I did a search about this issue. :D
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

Does kuser work? (/usr/bin/kuser)
Comes with the kdeadmin package, I think

Return to “Software & Applications”