KDE 4.4 on the way

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Re: KDE 4.4 on the way

Post by kmb42vt »

piratesmack wrote:Does kuser work? (/usr/bin/kuser)
Comes with the kdeadmin package, I think
Hmmm, just checked after seeing your post. No "kuser" in my "user/bin" directory. Neither is kuser or the kdeadmin package installed according to Synaptic. Is this normally installed in the KDE version of Linux Mint?

Edit: Okay, I've just installed kuser and it seems to be working fine.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Installing kuser causes that darn sudo error every time the system starts, I tried that. Here is a bug report.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=226754
piratesmack

Post by piratesmack »

kmb42vt wrote:
Hmmm, just checked after seeing your post. No "kuser" in my "user/bin" directory. Neither is kuser or the kdeadmin package installed according to Synaptic. Is this normally installed in the KDE version of Linux Mint?
I'm not sure if it's normally installed on Mint KDE.

I'm actually running KDE 4.4 on Slackware. I have no "User Management" module in System Settings, but I do have kuser in /usr/bin.

I'm not sure if installing kuser will fix the problem, but at least you'll have something to add or remove users.

EDIT: Just saw exploder's post, don't install kuser :)

EDIT2:
kmb42vt wrote: Edit: Okay, I've just installed kuser and it seems to be working fine.
oh
Last edited by piratesmack on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

kmb42vt wrote:

Edit: Okay, I've just installed kuser and it seems to be working fine.
I tried it and it didn't help me.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I installed kdeadmin, it pulls in kuser and kcron, this gets rid of the kdesudo error at start up and User Manager now works from the menu. User Manager still does not work from System Settings but the problem is half solved. :D
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

I'm not sure if it's normally installed on Mint KDE.

I'm actually running KDE 4.4 on Slackware. I have no "User Management" module in System Settings, but I do have kuser in /usr/bin.

I'm not sure if installing kuser will fix the problem, but at least you'll have something to add or remove users.

EDIT: Just saw exploder's post, don't install kuser :)

EDIT2:
kmb42vt wrote: Edit: Okay, I've just installed kuser and it seems to be working fine.
oh
No big deal, it's easily removed and it is. :D Good way to check functions though.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I think we are still missing a dependency and that is why it is not working in System Settings, it's working fine now from the menu shortcut.
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

I upgraded to 4.4 yesterday. No major problem at all! Great job!
User Management in System Settings is a first problem I found.
The second is a akonadi nepomuk message when I launch kmail. Do you know something about this?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

The second is a akonadi nepomuk message when I launch kmail. Do you know something about this?
No, at the moment I am using Thunderbird but I read that it was fixed with an update.

I did look to see that the kcmodule was installed for User Management and it is there. I tried re-installing the package but User Management still crashes from System Settings. The error mentions the kcmodule and something python related. Something is missing...

Edit: I added to the bug report on this, we are close to having this figured out. :)
speedyx

Post by speedyx »

Thank you exploder for your work and support! :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Well, KDE closed out the bug report because it is definitely a Ubuntu issue. That's ok though, I will just see if there is a report on Launchpad for this. :)

Edit: So far manually creating a bug report in Launchpad takes me through a continuous loop to the how to report a bug page....Don't you just love Launchpad..... :(
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Just read a bug report from a link in the KDE forum. The python-qt4 - 4.7.0-2ubuntu3 package is supposed to be the solution to the issue. We will just have to wait for this package to appear in the repos.

Here is the bug report.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ ... bug/514796

Edit: Just checked the build farm, the packages are building for Lucid. I am guessing this will be ported to Karmic as well because it has been receiving the same updates.

Edit 2: I added information to the bug report about what was done to partially fix the problem. This might help people to some extent.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Here is the activity log on this issue.

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ ... /+activity

Now it's just wait for the updated package and see what happens. :)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:I think we are still missing a dependency and that is why it is not working in System Settings, it's working fine now from the menu shortcut.
Hmmm, not for me although I had a dozen or so updates vie the Kubuntu backports repo. Thanks for all the info and your efforts, exploder. I've been working the forums as well and there's a lot of "tag teaming" this problem going on. This is what I love about this community--they get things done. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Hmmm, not for me although I had a dozen or so updates vie the Kubuntu backports repo. Thanks for all the info and your efforts, exploder. I've been working the forums as well and there's a lot of "tag teaming" this problem going on. This is what I love about this community--they get things done. :D
I saw your posts on the KDE forum and I sure appreciate your efforts. If enough people got involved we might not have as many bugs to deal with. :) I got some updates this morning. I am waiting for the python-qt4 - 4.7.0-2ubuntu3 package to be available so I can see if it finishes up the User Management issue.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

For what it's worth, I've got User Management working again thanks to exploder and a KDE forum member, apachelogger, ferreting out the associated bug report on this problem.

It involves changing a single line of code in one file. Here's the exceprt from the bug report:
python-qt4 in /usr/share/pyshared/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py at line 184 invokes the string method of a Qstring.

But lately, Qstring does not have anymore such method, meaning that python-qt4 in /usr/share/pyshared/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py breaks on QT 4.6 and on installations of kde 4.4 on ubuntu. For instance, with a kubuntu karmic distro upgraded to kde 4.4 using the instructions on the kubuntu website fails to have a working user-management module in the system settings.

Please have line 184 of python-qt4 in /usr/share/pyshared/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py

from

bg_name = bg_i18n.string

to

bg_name = str(bg_i18n)
Changing the above line as shown above brings User Management back to working order.

Note: In the original bug report there was a quotation mark at the end of the corrected line of code which I ignored since it made no sense [ bg_name = str(bg_i18n)" ]. I'm no expert on this stuff that's for sure but I do know that quotation marks always come in pairs. Like trying to add a line of php code with just the ?> at the end.

Either way, the fix appears to work. Can someone try this themselves then beat the crap out of it to make sure there's no glitches? Heck, we might just get a jump on everyone else. 8)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

kmb42vt, I just tried the solution, it completely fixes the problem. User Manager will produce an error but will open and work. Once the system is re-booted the error is gone and User Manager is back to perfect working order. Very nice work my friend! :D
HoppityBob

Post by HoppityBob »

kmb42vt wrote:For what it's worth, I've got User Management working again thanks to exploder and a KDE forum member, apachelogger, ferreting out the associated bug report on this problem.

Either way, the fix appears to work. Can someone try this themselves then beat the crap out of it to make sure there's no glitches? Heck, we might just get a jump on everyone else. 8)
That sorted it for me - thank you very much ! However, I'm not sure if it's related, but the fonts in my Thunderbird 3 immediately went haywire. I'll change back that line and see what happens.... erm, still wonky, bah.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

exploder wrote:kmb42vt, I just tried the solution, it completely fixes the problem. User Manager will produce an error but will open and work. Once the system is re-booted the error is gone and User Manager is back to perfect working order. Very nice work my friend! :D
Just following your (and others) leads. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I added the solution to the bug report. It just goes to show that if enough of us get together to fix a problem we can get the job done. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”