Mint KDE to Gnome

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
romenyrr

Mint KDE to Gnome

Post by romenyrr »

In a rush from work i burned the wrong version of mint, the kde version, and was wondering how to replace/change it to gnome. There's a post on here going from Gnome to KDE but not vice versa. I did research and a recommended solution was to go to the packamanger and install ubuntu-desktop. not sure if thats the correct solution, dont want to render my computer useless. I will try and burn another cd later this week with the gnome version, but can i convert?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jay514

Re: Mint KDE to Gnome

Post by Jay514 »

Welcome to Linux Mint
I use KDE, you can install some of the Desktop Environments to co-exists with many of the others. If you wish for the full version to the Gnome Distro, you should Download & install it, otherwise, you will have to download All of the Packages & materials from The Repos, & synaptic.
For me ,it seems that it would be much simpler to get the Linux Mint Gnome Distro & go from there. I hope this helps , good luck & happy minting. :roll:
romenyrr

Post by romenyrr »

Jay514 wrote:Welcome to Linux Mint
I use KDE, you can install some of the Desktop Environments to co-exists with many of the others. If you wish for the full version to the Gnome Distro, you should Download & install it, otherwise, you will have to download All of the Packages & materials from The Repos, & synaptic.
For me ,it seems that it would be much simpler to get the Linux Mint Gnome Distro & go from there. I hope this helps , good luck & happy minting. :roll:
Thanks for the reply. Would you happen to have a list of all the packages/repos that I need. I've been stuck with KDE for a week, and everything that I want to do theme wise is meant for gnome. I have time to kill so I don't mind installing now to test it out, then doing a clean install :)
romenyrr

Post by romenyrr »

I believe I found out how to do it, but yea, it would make my current install a mess and my theme's probably wouldnt come out correctly:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/gnome
feed3
Level 4
Level 4

Post by feed3 »

Hi, i'm using kde as well. Had tried installing gnome over kde several days ago (although i removed it for having some issues. Just doing it for the sake of curiosity only and i've done system backup before doing it)
Open synaptic, search for mint-meta-gnome, right click on it, mark it for install, it will pull all the required packages. However, i think it is better to do dual boot of mint kde and gnome (if the space big enough and you still want to use kde) or do a clean install of mint main edition (as jay514 suggested) so that you can avoid and save yourself from several "hair-pulling" moments.. :) happy minting..
tomp01

Post by tomp01 »

I have both KDE and Gnome installed with MInt and also with Kubuntu, many moons ago there were problems but now they do not cause any interaction issues, least as far as I'm concerned anyway.

Return to “Software & Applications”