Installing KDE Edition along with Main Edition

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Installing KDE Edition along with Main Edition

Post by pashabear »

Hi,
Wondering if it's possible to use the KDE Community Edition debs to install the "Mint flavoured" version of KDE on top of my regular 4.0 install. Or, if easier / simpler, to use the CD for the same purpose.
pb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing KDE Edition along with Main Edition

Post by 67GTA »

The repos SHOULD be the same. Boo might correct me on that. The main differences between Gnome and KDE versions is Gnome and KDE. They both use Ubuntu bases. The KDE version is Ubuntu with most of Gnome ripped out, and KDE stuffed in it's place (mintified Kubuntu). You can install everything that makes up the KDE version right now from the repos, although I wouldn't recommend it. You will wind up with both desktop environments struggling for control, and a very cluttered menu. It is possible to set up a separate session and log in to either Gnome or KDE at logon, but the apps from both DE's will still show up in each others menus.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pashabear »

67GTA wrote:The repos SHOULD be the same.
So I don't need to add any repos, everything will be in the standard Mint ones, right?
67GTA wrote:You can install everything that makes up the KDE version right now from the repos, although I wouldn't recommend it. You will wind up with both desktop environments struggling for control, and a very cluttered menu.
I tried this with Celena, and indeed it was cluttered. However, I don't understand what you mean about the DE's "struggling for control".
67GTA wrote:It is possible to set up a separate session and log in to either Gnome or KDE at logon, but the apps from both DE's will still show up in each others menus.
This is really what I want, I acutally don't mind having multiple apps so much (would like some control over which ones are there), since I tend to use the favourites area a lot, to quickly launch my most used apps.

Another question, as I mentioned I installed KDE under Celena, but since I chose the full package it installed pretty much everything, and when I wanted to get rid of some things which were useless to me it wanted to uninstall the entire KDE suite. How do I get around this?
pb
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

Installing both complete desktop environments always caused lots of bugs for me. Certain actions would trigger the wrong DE to try and open something like gedit/kwrite. The easiest way would be to install "kubuntu-desktop". If you install "kde" it will pull in everything. kubuntu-desktop will install everything necessary to make a functional desktop, plus all the apps that normally come with Kubuntu. It should ask you if you want to make KDE default while installing. If you answer yes, then KDE will take over everything. If you answer no, then you can logout and select the KDE session like I mentioned. You don't have to change or add any repos. All of the KDE stuff is already in the Ubuntu repos.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pashabear »

You miss the point of my original question though. I don't want Kubuntu, I want the "Mintified" version of KDE.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The Mint KDE version is basically Kubuntu with codecs, mint tools, and artwork. There is still not a lot of difference. You could get the same thing by installing Kubuntu by itself and adding Mint repos.
Boo
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Boo »

the KDE edition uses the same repos but it also has a few packages installed that do not live in any repo (eg some icons).
the first KDE edition did use the Kubuntu repos but was changed to ubuntu repos for consistency with the main edition. you could install the KDE DE in your main edition to get most of the KDE edition installed.

another option (that i have not tried) is to install the KDE edition over the top of the main one, just make sure you do not format or change your partitions. a Live install is really just creating some partitions and copying the squashfs onto them.

Boo.
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
pashabear
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pashabear »

Boo wrote:...another option (that i have not tried) is to install the KDE edition over the top of the main one...
Hmmm... That sounds interesting, but not sure if I want to compromise my nice Daryna install. Any brave soul out there willing to take the plunge and let us know? Of course, I guess we're still waiting for the final release of the Daryna KDE edition...

Return to “Software & Applications”