Solved: system settings -> printer configuration issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kent88

Solved: system settings -> printer configuration issue

Post by Kent88 »

Am running M10 KDE 64-bit, and am trying to add a network printer (my old printer I could just plug in and it worked), but pulling up "printer configuration" under "system settings" I get the following:
The service 'Printer Configuration' does not provide an interface 'KCModule' with keyword 'system-config-printer-kde/system-config-printer-kde.py'The factory does not support creating
components of the specified type.

Possible reasons:
An error occurred during your last KDE upgrade leaving an orphaned control module
You have old third party modules lying around
Check these points carefully and try to remove the module mentioned in the error message. If this fails consider contacting your distributor or packager.

I have no idea what 'module's it is talking about.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: system settings -> printer configuration issue

Post by AlbertP »

The control panel contains so-called modules, one of which is the printer configuration. And I've seen a problem with this module before. I am not a KDE user so don't know how to solve it, but at least you are not the only person having this.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
Kent88

Post by Kent88 »

I did a google search and I am seeing that it isn't a unique issue, but I didn't see anything about a solution.
Kent88

Post by Kent88 »

If I can't get it to work by normal means, is there an alternate way I could get this printer working? Maybe a browser or command line interface?
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

Kent88 wrote:I have no idea what 'module's it is talking about.
I am not using KDE either, but an internet search gets me this
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/331192
  • i have reinstalled python-qt4-dbus and now IT WORKS!
    --post 11..
  • I am getting the same error in Kubuntu Jaunty Beta !!!
    I tried reinstalling python-qt4-dbus, but it didn't help, still getting the error in the Printer Configuration page.
    post 13
Read them all, there are various suggestions/fixes to try
  • This KDE bug apparently comes and goes with some updates
    --however you could also use cups, check the issue about installing cups removes kde-desktop, so the query on the internet search might be kde and installing cups : with cups you can connect to the web page at 127.0.0.1:631 or the name localhost and get a web admin interface to printer setups
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/383517
Kent88

Post by Kent88 »

thank you, I looked at the other things that would be affected if I removed that python package and noticed a package "system-config-printer-kde (4:4.5.5-0ubuntu2)", which I reinstalled and now it works.
magicalstephie

Re: : system settings -> printer configuration issue

Post by magicalstephie »

I'm getting the above issue, and I tried the fixes and none worked. I started getting this error after I changed a network printer to be the default printer. Any other ideas?

Return to “Software & Applications”