Update manager doesn't detect updates correctly

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zalbor

Update manager doesn't detect updates correctly

Post by Zalbor »

I've noticed this happening a few times now.
The update manager's icon shows a green tick, indicating that there are no updates to be applied. If I right click and choose "Refresh" (which, unless I'm mistaken, is supposed to force it to check for updates) the green tick disappears for only a moment and then reappears.
If I click on the icon -immediately after- and it asks for my password then opens a window and then checks for updates, it might find several.

I imagine it's some kind of permission issue; before it has my password it can't check for updates and thinks there aren't any. Has anyone had this and solved it, or know what I could try?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lumikki

Re: Update manager doesn't detect updates correctly

Post by Lumikki »

I think there could be issue.

Sometimes I have noticed the icon to be green, but still there can be updates.

I just assumed that this is because new updates become available between me starting the computer and when I clicked the icon. Because I don't really know how the software checks the updates.
Zalbor

Post by Zalbor »

I'm still having this problem... What's more, I installed Mint 12 KDE on another computer and it works fine there. So it must be something that went wrong during the installation on this one, or something I changed somewhere and forgot. Does anyone have an idea what that might be?
aragorn91

Post by aragorn91 »

The updates are ranked. I would bet the update managers notify when there is an update level 1 to be applied.
When it is level 2 or 3 it is not so much important.

Cheers

Post by 007 »

I had similiar problem before. I went a couple of days without updates after the installation and I knew something wasn't right. So, I updated using sudo apt-get update. After sometime, I decided to use sudo apt-get dist-upgrade because I love doing that (newbie 8) ) and it seemed to have solved the problem. Now, I have update icon in the task bar notifying me wherenever there's updates available.

Return to “Software & Applications”