Intel pro wireless 2200bg - connection not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

Hello,

Just installed Mint 13 XFCE. All good but no wireless connection - system not detecting any wireless networks and it should be. I've just moved from Mint 12 LXDE which had no issues with wireless. I've had a brief look around and it seems that there may be a problem with my particular wireless card and this version of Linux Mint: it's an Intel pro wireless 2200bg card. Does anyone know what the fix is, is it simply a setting or do I need something like a driver?

Cheers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

Hello,

Apologies for posting in this section of the forum but didn't get any replies in the xfce section:

Just installed Mint 13 XFCE. All good but no wireless connection - system not detecting any wireless networks and it should be. Also, card not showing in system information.

I've just moved from Mint 12 LXDE which had no issues with wireless. I've had a brief look around and it seems that there may be a problem with my particular wireless card and this version of Linux Mint: it's an Intel pro wireless 2200bg card. Does anyone know what the fix is, is it simply a setting or do I need something like a driver?

Cheers.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Intel pro wireless 2200bg - connection not working

Post by AlbertP »

You should not need a driver, maybe there's another problem with the wifi being blocked. What laptop do you have?

Please run rfkill list in terminal and post the output.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

Hello,

It's a Packard Bell Easynote A8. There have been no problems like this when running Linux Mint 7, 9, 12 or 12 LXDE on the same machine so not sure why there should be now? If you do a search for the wireless card + Linux Mint 13 there does seem to be people experiencing similar problems.

Here's the rfkill output.

rfkill
Usage: rfkill [options] command
Options:
--version show version (0.4-1ubuntu2 (Ubuntu))
Commands:
help
event
list [IDENTIFIER]
block IDENTIFIER
unblock IDENTIFIER
where IDENTIFIER is the index no. of an rfkill switch or one of:
<idx> all wifi wlan bluetooth uwb ultrawideband wimax wwan gps fm

Thanks for any help.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Please run:

Code: Select all

rfkill list
You've ran it without "list" this time.
ksjs

Post by ksjs »

Hello,

All sorted!

On my previous installations of Linux Mint, the wireless network has been automatically detected and all I had to do was enter the network key. It seems that with Linux Mint 13 XFCE I needed to give more information in 'network connections' to get the wirless network set up correctly. All I needed to do was add a wireless connection under the 'wireless' tab and enter the SSID name and the network key and that was it done. This sounds like a really obvious thing to do but as I hadn't done it before (except to enter the wireless network key) I didn't think to look.

I also forgot that when I was installing Mint 13 I remember seeing the option to connect to a wireless network as part of the setup process and several networks were listed so it was working all the time, it just needed the details.

Thanks for your help and I hope this will help others in same situation.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Threads merged
ZAJDAN

Post by ZAJDAN »

Hello,
yesterday I have installed for my friend Linux Mint 13 XFCE 32bit on notebook Acer Aspire 1690
after installation all worked perfectly (wifi Intel PRO Wireless 2200BG, touchpad, simply say all)
I have installed all updates a have made reboot and after that touchpad doesn't work and mainly wireless connection doesn't work ...ughrrrrr!

really I am thinking if is good idea use Mint longer time, because this is third machine where is after update big poblem
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ ZAJDAN: Please open a new topic for your problem. In that topic please post the output of these commands:

Code: Select all

inxi -N
rfkill list

Return to “Xfce”