Sound not working in Mint 13 XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bolter40k

Sound not working in Mint 13 XFCE

Post by bolter40k »

Hello everyone,

Try to bare with me. I just installed Linux Mint 13 XFCE after being away from the linux scene for about a year. I am having issues with my sound. As I log into my session sound will play acknowledging a successful log in. Once in my session however sound no longer functions. No matter what I select as a playback device I do not have sound.

If anyone could be of any help id be extremely greatful.

Thanks,
Bolter40k
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Sound not working in Mint 13 XFCE

Post by jjaythomas »

If getting sound 'feedback' for a sucesfull login usually means alsa itself is working Before pulse-audio is started.

I think LMint-XFCE activates Pulse-Audio in start-up.
See if uncheching pulse-audio in startup (maybe in session also) rectifies no sound. If so you can uninstall 'pulse-audio' or try to figure out problem in 'puls-audio.

P.S. could also end 'pulse-audio' from terminal or 'system>Task Manager' to test

J.Jay
tadpole1954

Post by tadpole1954 »

That happened to me too. No sound. To get it working I did this. Menu/Settings/Settings Manager/Session and Startup/Application Autostart/ then select PulseAudio Sound Systen (start the PulseAudio Sound System).
MasterGT

Post by MasterGT »

I have a fresh Xfce install and I don't have sound either, but when I follow your path, there is nothing in the settings manager regarding PulseAudio, so I can't turn it on or off there.

$ inxi -SAxc 0
System: Host lmde-xfce-2012-4 Kernel 3.2.0-2-686-pae i686 (32 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
Audio: Card-1 ATI Redwood HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5600 Series] driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
MasterGT

Post by MasterGT »

Anyone with ideas to help me with this sound problem?

I don't know Xfce well enough to know how to resolve it and there doesn't seem to be a general issue with no sound for it to be discussed here.
lifeguard

Post by lifeguard »

I am sad. Mint has been stable for me in the past. But sound failing? No reply on forums? Sad.

(This happened to me today. Sound worked fine.)

I am installing another distro today, but in case my system details are useful to you guys:

Kernel 3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint Xfce Edition
Audio: Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver snd_hda_intel BusID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Version 1.0.24
XMice

Post by XMice »

Hey I also had no sound..
Problem was that the main output was wrong..
Go into the pulse audio settings -> configuration and disable all not used outputs like graphic card output. :)
traction88

Post by traction88 »

Same issue for me. Sound works on the login screen and then stops after logging in. I went into Pulse Audio Volume Control->Configuration tab and disabled the High Definition Audio Controller.
RayT

Post by RayT »

Hi,

I had the same problem no sound after login. after scratching my head a lot i looked at the mixer in the start bar. none of the controls were setup? so i pressed "Select Controls" and got a sound slider to appear in the "ALSA Mixer" part.
No good so i selected the "OSS Mixer" and done the same,,, no good so i done the same with the "pulseaudio mixer" and lo and behold a master slider... and it had defaulted to 0% sound.. turned it up and i had sound...

Seems a bit strange to me to have 3 sets of volume controls for the sound card, and to default them as hidden. and to default the master to 0%.. but hey got there in the end..
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

Try these:

$ alsamixer (make sure nothing's muted).
$ pavucontrol (same as above - you might have to install pavucontrol)

I had this, called "no_mdm_sound_fix" - (sound disappeared when MDM was removed):
$ rm -r ~/.pulse && killall pulseaudio

If those don't work, try "paprefs" and look for odd settings.

If none of those work, maybe purge the alsa and pulse packages, and reinstall....

Edit: On other Xfce installs I've had the volume-icon mute the sound, then the unmute shows it working (sound back on) but it's not - you have to unmute a channel thru pavucontrol. Linux sound is a mess.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
RayT

Post by RayT »

Hi all,

I have noticed something a little strange..

Every-time i boot my machine the sound is muted.
I would un-mute the sound and set it at 70%.
then when i re-boot the sound is muted again?

i have only noticed this recently while trying to watch a DVD.
and i have tested this twice to make sure its happening.

strange but true :)
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

try resaving session (seting session and startup) on seesion tab when have sound set where want.
The session tab on Xfce don't show everthing ran from session (the file acually a '.' dot file or exg config in /ect (I think) :roll:

J.Jay
RayT

Post by RayT »

jjaythomas wrote:

try resaving session (seting session and startup) on seesion tab when have sound set where want.
The session tab on Xfce don't show everthing ran from session (the file acually a '.' dot file or exg config in /ect (I think) :roll:

J.Jay
Thanks J.Jay

That would make sense!
So i have quickly tried setting the sound and saving the session. re-started and unfortunately its the same master Volume 0% and muted. i agree with you that there is a good chance this is the issue so i will continue to play and see what i can do.

Anyways thanks for the suggestion.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Worth a shot (didn't work tho :cry: )

if remember pulse-audio starts as a service (system>services) and also is an auto-start app (settings>autstart and session) maybe ones over-riding other. :idea:

Try turning off in services and reboot. If not try turning on service and disble at autostart.

Maybe :mrgreen:
J.Jay
yerc

Post by yerc »

RayT wrote:
jjaythomas wrote:

J.Jay
That would make sense!
So i have quickly tried setting the sound and saving the session. re-started and unfortunately its the same master Volume 0% and muted. i agree with you that there is a good chance this is the issue so i will continue to play and see what i can do.
I'll risk appearing stupid here and ask are you running mint xfce from a livecd/usb?
If so, then you are starting "fresh" each time (but then again i don't see why you are able to save a session if it's a livecd/usb) :?
RayT

Post by RayT »

yerc wrote: I'll risk appearing stupid here and ask are you running mint xfce from a livecd/usb?
If so, then you are starting "fresh" each time (but then again i don't see why you are able to save a session if it's a livecd/usb) :?
Not a stupid question!
but unfortunately it is a full install !!
jjaythomas wrote:Worth a shot (didn't work tho :cry: )
if remember pulse-audio starts as a service (system>services) and also is an auto-start app (settings>autstart and session) maybe ones over-riding other. :idea:
Try turning off in services and reboot. If not try turning on service and disble at autostart.
Maybe :mrgreen:
J.Jay
Cheers i will give that a go, i will also explain a little on what exactly is happening.

If you right click on the mixer, and go into properties i can see the sound card "output" options, i have:
Intel 82801DB-ICH4 (Alsa Mixer)
SigmaTel STA9750,51 (OSS Mixer)
Playback: Built-in Audio Analog Stereo (PulseAudio Mixer)

what i have noticed so far:
1) Every time i restart the Alsa and the OSS Mixer are on 0%. not the Pulse Mixer
2) The Alsa Mixer is also muted on restart.
3) The sliders on these two seem linked together with regards to the volume level.

i have tried to save session, with no success.
i will look at what services are running next. but all i have done is install? i have not messed with the sound system at all..

I am currently just un-muting and resetting the volume each time i restart my pc and then works fine,
just finding it's a little odd thats all :?

One last one... Why are there 3 volume controls/Mixers, or is the MS equivalent to Master, Wave, CD ect ect?

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
i find its good that i'm learning a little more about the system each time :D

Return to “Xfce”