having troubles with dd

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
caslie

having troubles with dd

Post by caslie »

i tried to download arch linux iso out of curiousity and made the command

# dd if=archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdb

it went okay but i changed my mind but when i tried to use the USB it can't be used anymore.. It was 4GB USB but now the system only detects 125MB..
i also tried using # dd count=1 bs=512 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb but to no avail...

i also tried gparted but it doesn't detect any partition.. i also tried formatting it in windows 7 but windows failed in formatting.. it only detects 125MB out of the 4B...

help!!! thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: having troubles with dd

Post by karlchen »

Hello, caslie.

Maybe this article will help solve your problem and return your pendrive to its initial size: How To Use DiskPart Command To Recover Missing Or Unallocated Space On A USB Drive. Windows Diskpart is used to recover the unallocated space which is present but cannot be accessed.
Reason: By using dd to write an ISO image to the pendrive which was smaller than the pendrive the pendrive partition table has been changed now suggesting the available "disk" space were much smaller than the pendrive actually is.

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Xfce”