Fn keys work with Cin/Mate, but not with Xfce.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Wouter_db

Fn keys work with Cin/Mate, but not with Xfce.

Post by Wouter_db »

Hello folks.

After a period of distro hopping I am now settling on Mint13 Xfce for my Asus R051DX netbook, and Mate for my HP pav. dv6000 laptop.
A very happy penguin so far, and 80% of the problems I can solve using this forum or the main Ubuntu forums.

This problem however keeps confounding me.. As I said I have Mint Xfce installed on my netbook, and all hardware works but for most of the FN function keys(well, also the known suspend/hibernate problem, which is also a pain but this is high on the 'to-fix' list yes??). Oddly enough, they work perfectly on Cinnamon and Mate. I don't really understand why, aren't they using the same base? It's some kind of ACPI problem.

Fn+F1 = Suspend. DOESN'T work, but then the suspend function is broken in Mint anyway
Fn+F2 = Wireless/Bluetooth Toggle. WORKS, but no pop-up message
Fn+F3 = Disable touchpad DOESN'T work.
Fn+F4 = Change resolution DOESN'T work
Fn+F5 = Decrease Brightness. WORKS
Fn+F6 = Increase Brightness. WORKS
Fn+F7 = Turn off screen DOESN'T work
Fn+F8 = Toggle monitor. DOESN'T work
Fn+F9 = Task manager. DOESN'T work
Fn+F10 = Disable sound. WORKS, but no pop-up message
Fn+F11/12 = Increase/lower sound DOESN'T work

What I've tried so far:
Add the line 'acpi_osi=Linux' to GRUB. No success.
Add the line 'acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor' to GRUB. No success

Now there is another method, described by a guy on the Ubuntu forums. He grabbed the eeepc-acpi.local file from his eeebuntu 3.0 live cd and copied it to his nbr 10.04 install, and all FN keys worked. Now can I do the same on my Xfce install? I tried to find eeepc-acpi.local on my Xfce install, but no luck as I suspected.

I hope you guys have another idea, because I'd hate to replace my neat Xfce install with Mate.. Let me know if system information is required.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Fn keys work with Cin/Mate, but not with Xfce.

Post by jjaythomas »

1st things I would check would be...

1) start gnome ( :shock: ) services on setting>session and startup advance-tab then reboot and check keys.
if not
2) use a run-level editor to check if laptop multimedia keys service running (I like using BUM, it's in repos)
or (if all else fail)
3) make your own keyboard shortcuts settings>keyboard application Shortcuts tab use task manager 'Fn-F9, mixer Fn-F11 &12, ect.
P.S. install mint-input, lxrandr ect for lite/easy clicking type applets.

J.Jay
Wouter_db

Re: Fn keys work with Cin/Mate, but not with Xfce.

Post by Wouter_db »

Thank you, I will try these things on a new Xfce install. For the netbook in question, I already switched to Mate to get the Fn keys working, but I hope to come back to Xfce because it felt much faster.

Return to “Xfce”