Mint 13 XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintyfreshyay

Mint 13 XFCE

Post by mintyfreshyay »

After a few months break from Linux overall, I decided to try out the newest version of Mint, Maya 13. This time instead of going with the main edition, I went with the XFCE.

And boy was I really impressed. Mint team did an excellent job, it's a blazing fast edition much better than other Mint editions I've tried. :)

Just wanted to say thanks and give my feedback! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
teilnehmer

AW: Mint 13 XFCE

Post by teilnehmer »

Hej, that's great to hear, thanks for sharing! I was disappointed with speed of Mint 12 (any desktop) and considered re-installing XFCE edition. This might tip the scale!
CapitalG

Re: Mint 13 XFCE

Post by CapitalG »

i agree. they did a great job on xfce. fast and stable. i feel like using old gnome 2 again. very very happy :D with so many new desktops out there im surprised more people aren't looking to xfce as a traditional desktop. i dont need a bunch of crazy search bars. xfce knows how to keep it simple and stable.....and fast!!! :mrgreen:
jediafr

Post by jediafr »

Reading this post i realised that i didn't thank the Xfce team for a formidable version.
I switched to it for my mainstay Desktop Environment and no regret it' feels like my beloved Gnome2 (Mint menu + Mate applets = awesomeness ).

So thank you guys for the polish and time spent to make it so smooth.

One nag thing : the save session at the log out has to be disabled...
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Post by KBD47 »

I like the KDE version, but Xfce 13 may be the best Mint I've seen since main Mint 11 :-)
mintyfreshyay

Post by mintyfreshyay »

@all: Indeed. :) It's rock solid, blazing fast and looks great!

I enjoy this release so much, I just formatted getting rid of Windows and now Mint 13 XFCE is my one and only OS! :mrgreen:
Bill Lariviere
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Bill Lariviere »

Mint 13 XFCE is the best Linux distro i've seen so far! And i've tried quite a few. This should be the main edition imo.
mintyfreshyay

Post by mintyfreshyay »

Bill Lariviere wrote:Mint 13 XFCE is the best Linux distro i've seen so far! And i've tried quite a few. This should be the main edition imo.
I couldn't agree with you more on this statement, since it's so true. XFCE needs to be the main edition as it's a lot better and looks and acts way more professional.
3fRI

Post by 3fRI »

I've also tried quite a few Linux distros, and was disappointed initially to learn that Mint would no longer continue a LXDE flavor. :( At the same time, when Mint 13 Xfce was released, I decided to give it a try and compared it to LXDEs distros both in Virtual Box and dual-booting on the laptop hard drive. I agree that Mint 13 Xfce is a superlative distro and I like it so much that I may even replace MInt 13 Cinnamon on my desktop. :D
animaguy

Mint 13 XFCE

Post by animaguy »

when it comes to everyday use desktop, I am sold on 13 xfce also.
teilnehmer

AW: Mint 13 XFCE

Post by teilnehmer »

Wow, people, I think I'll reinstall my desktop (currently running Mint 13 with Cinnamon) tonight. I already burned the CD, I just have to backup a few things... it might happen. :)

@animaguy - is your nick a Piers Anthony quote?
Wouter_db

Post by Wouter_db »

Mint Xfce felt like a powerhouse, unlike Mate and Cin who feel a bit sluggish. I now run Mate on both my laptops because the FN keys were not entirely functional. I'm thinking about going back to Xfce and take the missing keys for granted, that how much I liked it.

I need nothing added to Xfce, only two fixes that still make me sometimes go back to Winblows7: the infamous killed suspend/hibernation that affect many users, and the FN keys for my Asus Netbook. Then I will nuke MS of my drive for good.

I am very curious as to what Mint 14 XFCE will bring us!
becho2150

Post by becho2150 »

XFCE rules
animaguy

Mint 13 XFCE

Post by animaguy »

distro - Linux Mint
edition - Ubuntu based
desktop - xfce

That is where I stand.
SantaFe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SantaFe »

becho2150 wrote:XFCE rules
Well I hope you tell us what they are, in case there's a Pop Quiz tomorrow! :D :D :D
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

I am a big fan of Xfce. I have spent time with MATE, Cinnamon, and KDE, and have chosen Xfce as my DE. However, I picked it for the simple, clean design and operation; speed doesn't seem to be any better on my system (see end of post), and the PCU and memory loads seem to be as much as MATE. So, I am interested in a little more detail on your criteria for faster?

I am kinda under the impression at this point that Mint Xfce mostly uses the MATE underpinnings and programs, other than the file manager? So really, would not expect the Mint flavor of Xfce to be as light as Xfce in general. However, I am really new and certainly may be misinformed, and would love to be educated on this, as I am pretty committed to Xfce and learning all I can about it.

Thanks!

Caerolle :)
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

ooops, forgot my system info:

i5 2.67, 4 GB memory, ATI Raedon 57-something graphics card
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

caerolle wrote:I am kinda under the impression at this point that Mint Xfce mostly uses the MATE underpinnings and programs, other than the file manager? So really, would not expect the Mint flavor of Xfce to be as light as Xfce in general. However, I am really new and certainly may be misinformed, and would love to be educated on this, as I am pretty committed to Xfce and learning all I can about it.
I'm running two instances of Xfce. One is Mint 13, the other is a custom build of Debian Sid and Xfce. I haven't studied the Mint install too much yet, but I can tell you that the Sid installation is a much snappier performer. It boots into only 75 MB of RAM, so that tells you it can be a very light environment.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

OK, just rebooted into Mint 13 Xfce. It boots into 126 MB of RAM with as similar a configuration as I can manage to my Sid install. Still pretty low, IMO.

And, it isn't like it's a pig or anything, just compared to my Sid version it lacks just a little of the responsiveness. I blame that on the Ubuntu underpinnings which can't be as easily customized.
caerolle

Post by caerolle »

Ah, thanks for the info, squeezy! I guess it isn't as bloaty as I thought. It doesn't affect me much in practice anyway, my system handles KDE as well as it does the Xfce (not that it is some powerful system, but once you get very far above the minimum requirements, I think they all run well, Linux is so good!). For me, it's mostly just theoretical, and also a little disappointing that I am not getting the full Xfce experience. It might be that the pure Xfce would be too bare for me, but I would like a chance to try. I saw some stuff in another thread about compiling 4.10, may give that a go, or try a different distro once I move my working OS to my new SSD and free up my HHD to play with.

Caerolle :)

Return to “Xfce”