Thunar opening delay and opening twice.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cmolinap

Thunar opening delay and opening twice.

Post by cmolinap »

Hi, Yesterday I installed 32-bit Linux Mint 13 XFCE in a Asus Eee PC 701SD (8 GB SSHD, 1 GB RAM) and, yesterday, it worked as expected. Excellent. Now, today, the first time I execute Thunar after install Mint XFCE, there is a delay (of about 25 seconds) before the Thunar window opens, then after another (~25s) delay, either a second Thunar window opens.

After I have opened Thunar once, I can close it and it subsequently opens as expected (takes <1s to open, gives no error and doesn't open multiple windows). If I log out of XFCE, then run it again, the problem occurs again.

Would anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem or how I can solve the problem? It's annoying.

Thanks in advance.

cmolinap.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SantaFe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Thunar opening delay and opening twice.

Post by SantaFe »

Howdy. I saw this post in the Xfce forums: https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=5959 that might help. It's reply # 17. To Quote from it,
I had a similar problem, but after installing preload (apt-get install preload), thunar starts up quickly as it should.

Edit: totally wasn't the savior, turns out that only helped when I wasn't on my network with NFS ... once back on the home network, it returned. I did find a solution on the archlinux forums which helped:

sudo mousepad (or leafpad, or gedit, or whatever) /usr/shares/gvfs/mounts/network.mount, and set AutoMount=false

The problem is the way that Thunar initially gets the network files, and by preventing AutoMount from occurring on first load, it never tries to. The thing is, when you try to access your Network through Thunar AFTER you open it up (by clicking on Network), that same 30-second delay occurs ... but at least now it doesn't do it every time you load. It also obviously does not affect fstab, so your existing fstab mounts will work on boot as per usual.

This totally actually does work.
It does load faster now. ;)
aes2011
Level 4
Level 4

Post by aes2011 »

cmolinap wrote:..., then after another (~25s) delay, either a second Thunar window opens.
I have the initial delay but I don't get a second window.
Anyway, since it happens just the first time in a session, I don't mind.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

I've experienced this as well. It's always solved for me when I configure samba name resolution by uncommenting the following line and placing bcast the first in the list in smb.conf. I have a very simple home network though, so this might not help you.

Code: Select all

name resolve order = bcast lmhosts host wins
cmolinap

Post by cmolinap »

Greetings and thank you very much to SantaFe and aes2011. I implemented the suggested solution and it is working very well. As it was in the beginning.

Thanks squeezy for your suggestion. A question, in my case, I haven't a formal network: a cable modem and a router, nothing more. What would be the solution in my case?

I hope that in future versions of Thunar this problem is solved.

cmolinap
SantaFe
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SantaFe »

Think I read somewhere that the next Xubuntu (12.10) will have the 4.10 Xfce included & it's Thunar won't have this problem. Can't wait to upgrade. ;)

And glad what I found helped. ;)
lkraemer

Post by lkraemer »

SantaFe,
Thanks for that tip. It worked like a charm. I've submitted a BUG report back in early July, and it's on the back burner, along with the
other five BUGS that are slowly driving me crazy. I have searched for hours/days trying to find a workaround for this problem. Even my
Wife was complaining about the 25-40 second delay when clicking on the Home Folder, on initial boot.

Now if BibleTime would just work, Thunar would display the Thumbnails correctly, GTKTerm would allow re-sizing the Window,
the Internal Mic worked with arecord, and the Window RE-Size Grab area was something GREATER than one Pixel Width,
Linux Mint LMDE would be the perfect Distro.

THANKS.

Larry

Return to “Xfce”