tap-to-click = "right-click" for left-handed mouse/touchpad

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phr33k

tap-to-click = "right-click" for left-handed mouse/touchpad

Post by phr33k »

Linuxmint 13 XFCE up-to-date
Synaptics touchpad on Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop

I just installed and updated Linuxmint 13 XFCE. When I set my mouse to be left-handed, tap-to-click now acts like a right-hander´s right-click, giving me context-menus instead of the usual mouse clicks one would expect.

Before I set my mouse to be left-handed, tap-to-click worked just fine in right-handed mouse mode. I can´t find a fix for this, but I´m a Mint n00b who doesn´t understand why Microsoft can figure this touchpad setup out and Linux either can´t or hides the solution.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: tap-to-click = "right-click" for left-handed mouse/touch

Post by jjaythomas »

Not sure sorry... :oops:

mouse clicks for left -hand use just change the 'keybinding of the mouse by switching the buttons codes.

I would think the tap-click function of a touch pad must also be switched. (I'm om LMDX (so earlier XFCE version yet :cry: ) in 4.10 has different mouse/pad config options. :?
try behavior of the touchpad(?) or keybindings and shortcuts.

could probably achieve that using 'xbindkeys' but theirs probably a easier way (not using another external program) :oops:

J,Jay
phr33k

Post by phr33k »

I can see that this issue is not going to be addressed, so I "solved" it by:
  • shrinking my Windows partition
    expanding my Mint partition
    installing Cinnamon
    removing XFCE
because Cinnamon works correctly.

I was wrong; the problem isn't with Linux, it's with XCFE, at least Mint XFCE. Bottom line: if you're left handed and want tap-to-click to work correctly for you as it does in Window$, use Cinnamon, not XFCE.
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

In LMDE your using Xfce 4.8 (unless you fetch from unstable or compile) and as stated that function doesn't work correctly
Mint13-Xfce is getting Xfce 4.10 from a PPA and it's only the core/cosmetic functionality. The system for most part (being based Ubuntu 12.04) still functions as Xfce 4.8.

In the new Xubuntu 12.10 changing right/to left mouse (P.S. I'm left handed also but use a trackpad as if right handed :shock: ) works 'Correctly Uses Xfce 4.10 fully without dropping in a PPA.

Hopefully Mint14-Xfce (being based on (X)Ubuntu 12.10 will work correctly.
Theirs also a package called 'synaptiks (not to be confused with synaptic package manager) that's made for configuring 'Touchpads' and one called Jupiter (in a PPA only I think) that let's you configure many things of a laptop/netbook/tablet. Watt OS (another Ubuntu based distro) uses it in default/live ISO/install.

J.Jay
P.S. if on tablet can get scroll bars easily on left also (on laptop/netbook really don't matter :wink:)

Return to “Xfce”