ctrl-alt-backspace to restart xfce?

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

ctrl-alt-backspace to restart xfce?

Postby Mintyminty on Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:56 pm

Hi all, this is my first post here, new to mint not to linux, like it so far but still have to get used to it a bit.

I would like to be able to restart xfce with ctrl-alt-backspace, where or how do I set this behaviour?

TIA!
Mintyminty
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ctrl-alt-backspace to restart xfce?

Postby karlchen on Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:48 pm

Hello, Mintyminty.

Though this step by step instruction is for genuine Ubuntu, the steps might apply to Linux Mint xfce as well: Ubuntu 12.04 - How to Enable Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

On the Cinnamon desktop the way to the relevant setting actually is this:
Menu => System Tools => System Settings => Section "Personal" => Icon "Keyboard" => Tab "Layout" => Options ... => Item "setting to force shutdown the X-Server" => [X] crl + alt + backspace

Will verify whether this is the exact way on Xfce as well and post back. (Provided no-one else is faster.)
<Added 1 hour later>
No, things are different on the Xfce desktop:
Go to Menu => Settings => Session and Startup (xfce4-session-settings) => Tab Application Autostart
In the list of automatically starting applications, there should be an item titled Ctrl Alt Backspace. This item executes the commandline
Code: Select all
setxkbmap -option terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp
This commandline makes sure that pressing <ctrl><alt><backsp> terminates all running graphical applications and the Xfce desktop, relaunnches the X-server and takes you back to the Xfce logon screen.

In case the item Ctrl Alt Backspace is missing, add it to the list with the help of the [Add] button.

</Added 1 hour later>

Kind regards,
Karl
Enlightened by Lucid Lynx, enchanted by Maya, impressed by Petra.
karlchen
Level 9
Level 9

Return to XFCE