Hi I just downloaded xfce from software manager

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Andremillspaugh

Hi I just downloaded xfce from software manager

Post by Andremillspaugh »

Hi I just downloaded xfce from software manager, and i dont know how to install it, what are the commands to do this? I heard some one tell me that xfce can change the way everything look, like change the look and theme and be able to add new graphics to, like when it starts and login and change the menu to top or Bottom, Basicly I want to change everything to customize it for my own needs. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Hi I just downloaded xfce from software manager

Post by jjaythomas »

If done thru 'software Manager' or synaptic or apt for that matter... already installed :shock:

to activate
logout and at login (probably MDM) chose it from session menu. Say only for this session if prompted with a dialog (if like can use session as default for logins later) :wink:

J.Jay
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

On the login screen, at the bottom, choose to run Xfce as a session. If you installed it with Software Manager (it also downloads it, but the purpose of Software Manager is to install programs for you) it is just sitting there waiting for you to use it. Xfce is a desktop environment, just as MATE, Cinnamon and KDE are (amongst many others). To learn more about what that is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desktop_environment
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Not sure what 'Edition' on
But remember
if on 'Mint 13Maya the Xfce in repo will be Xfce4.8. The Mint13-Xfce ISO actually was built using a PPA to get the Xfce 4.10 core!

J.Jay
BBistheKing

Post by BBistheKing »

Agree with jjay, the mint13 xfce edition is best to go with if you intend to stick with xfce. I use it and find it very flexible. I have 2 panels one at the bottom with launchers and sys monitors etc and an invisible panel on the left where minimized-only windows appear. don't forget to switch on compiz if you want to adjust transparency and have shadows etc.

I installed cairo-dock for the kids' user accounts too. XFCE makes me :D
jjaythomas

Post by jjaythomas »

Just remember

If use Mint13-Xfce Iso on Xfce 4.10 core, if use any panel plugins or other Xfce add-ons from repos (software-manager, synaptic or apt) they may still be 4.8 and not compatible on 4.10.

J.Jay
P.S. Mint 14 should be in sync (cause (X)ubuntu 12.10 is)

EDIT
don't forget to switch on compiz if you want to adjust transparency and have shadows etc.
Think mean compositor in setting>window manager teaks :P . Compiz is a full blown WM (easy in Xfce thou)
BBistheKing

Post by BBistheKing »

compiz???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yeah, compositor was what I meant...

...it's been a long day.................

Return to “Xfce”