Window Issue in Linux Mint Maya with XFCE

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
roboe92

Window Issue in Linux Mint Maya with XFCE

Post by roboe92 »

Hello!

I ran into an issue after updating mint about a week ago. All of the windows are missing the maximize, minimize, and close functions in the upper right hand corner of the window. Additionally, I am not able to use the terminal emulator at all. I have to use the actual terminal to do anything. As it says in the subject line, I am using Mint 13 Maya with XFE. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I also am unable to open the window manager, so I can't edit anything.

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caribriz

Re: Window Issue in Linux Mint Maya with XFCE

Post by caribriz »

Hi roboe92 - and welcome to the Linux Mint forums :)

For the window manager issues - see this thread - apparently common problem:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=113058

Solution was:
Open a terminal, and enter

Code: Select all

xfwm4
if you then get a message to the effect that it is still running ...
in terminal again:

--replace xfwm4
But ...don't know what the problem is with the terminal - similar to this :?:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=105584

caribriz
olivimo

Post by olivimo »

Thanks a lot, it works very fine for me.

I also had the issue after updating my linux mint (windows and terminal), but by closing every windows (in menu->quit) I was able to use the terminal and enter the

xfwm4
command.

Best regards

Olivier
lookslikeadam

Post by lookslikeadam »

What a sigh of relief!
I had the same problem but after typing that first command into the terminal, the screen sort of flashed and everything was back to normal in an instant!
Thank you so much, I was losing my mind for a minute there :)
furbearingmammal

Post by furbearingmammal »

THANKS!

I was getting ready to give up on ever getting a working Mint install on this blasted laptop. :D
Migore

Post by Migore »

I can't run the xfwm4 command because I can't type anything in the terminal. I tried to go to another context (don't know if that is the name, I pressed Ctrl + Alt + F5) and tried there but it says that it can't open the display.

Any suggestions?
furbearingmammal

Post by furbearingmammal »

Migore wrote:I can't run the xfwm4 command because I can't type anything in the terminal. I tried to go to another context (don't know if that is the name, I pressed Ctrl + Alt + F5) and tried there but it says that it can't open the display.

Any suggestions?
I had this issue. I clicked in the terminal, hit enter, and the terminal responded like I'd typed. I typed in xfwm4 and hit enter and everything returned to normal. If you still can't get it to work, try a reboot (assuming you haven't already).

Return to “Xfce”