Cannot drag 'n' drop with Xfce

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DumbCluck

Cannot drag 'n' drop with Xfce

Post by DumbCluck »

Hi
When I try to drag a file from my desktop to a folder it only copies instead of transferring to the folder.
I then have to delete the original. Is this normal for Xfce??
Using LM13 Xfce
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jjaythomas

Re: Cannot drag 'n' drop with Xfce

Post by jjaythomas »

Hi
When I try to drag a file from my desktop to a folder it only copies instead of transferring to the folder.
Using LM13 Xfce

Yes
desktop will keep copy also (actually only desktop/icon file) But can drag & drop from desktop folder in thunar to another place.

J.Jay
P.S. have to open 2nd window (no tabs) for thunar.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

DumbCluck wrote:Hi
Using LM13 Xfce
Select the file with a left click > Hold down the Shift key > Then drag and drop to the folder. The file should move instead of copy.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
sanda

Post by sanda »

+1
what altair4 said
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

It copies unless you are in the same tree section (a subsection of the parent directory)
--for example if you open two file manager windows from the menus, and you are perusing your directories/folders, then a drag&drop moves the file from one location to another in that directory tree

If you used a usb drive and did a drag and drop it only copies, not moves the file or directory..
--and is also a little sensitive about mouse clicks..

Return to “Xfce”