How do I create a user account in XFCE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcse37

How do I create a user account in XFCE?

Post by mcse37 »

I can't find a GUI to create a user account in Linux Mint 13 XFCE. Can someone walk me through creating on or point me to a link?

Thanks,

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I create a user account in XFCE?

Post by altair4 »

Use the one from gnome2:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Or if you don't want to do that there are the commands adduser and useradd.

adduser is the easier one - it is interactive.
mcse37

Post by mcse37 »

Thank you.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

altair4 wrote:Use the one from gnome2:

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools
or following this discussion here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 60#p669529
mate-system-tools more relevant even if we see this https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-sy ... ols/pull/7
lilmountain

Post by lilmountain »

Hi all,

Apologies in advance for noob questions. New user of Linux looking for alternative to 1 licence Windows 7 when my XP pro stops getting supported. I have same issue of not knowing how to add user, have downloaded and installed suggested gnome tools (i'm running 14 NADIA Cinnamon, perhaps that's the issue?) but when I go to user accounts I have no option to add or remove, it just shows me as administrator but with no options to do anyting. Want to add account for kids with no administrator rights to make sure they don't do anything silly.

When i open command window and type "adduser" it says "adduser: Only root may add user or group to system". Highly likely this is something very simple that i just don't know, if there's a good link to overall linux basics as well then please let me know.

Thanks.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

have downloaded and installed suggested gnome tools (i'm running 14 NADIA Cinnamon, perhaps that's the issue?) but when I go to user accounts I have no option to add or remove, it just shows me as administrator but with no options to do anyting.
It should be in the menu as "Users and Groups". If it's not there open a terminal and type:

users-admin
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
lilmountain

Post by lilmountain »

Thanks very much, massively impressed with how quickly you answered plus accuracy. For anyone else who follows this thread in the future "Users and Groups" only appeared in my "all programmes" bit rather than in system settings which only has the ability to review, not edit or add for some reason.

Thanks again, I hope with this kind of support i won't be forced to buy Windows 7 when XP Pro stops getting updates! :D
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

I've tried creating a new account two ways:

• Running adduser at a command line

• Adding the Users and Groups utilities (by installing gnome-system-tools)

Each time, when I log on to the new account, I've gotten only:

• The Mint "welcome" window

• A black screen with a mouse pointer

I've had to restart the system by switching to a command line (Ctrl+Alt+F1), logging on to my normal account, and using the sudo shutdown now -r command. (Fortunately, I knew about all that—but what do people new to Linux do? Cold resets, I guess...)

How else can I try to create an account? I've searched in vain here for more info... And should it really be this hard to do such a basic thing?

And BTW, why doesn't Mint XFCE include the Users and Groups utility? Other XFCE distros seem to by default—everyone mentions using it, but not having to manually install it.

Return to “Xfce”