Xfce + compiz, buggy panel, workspace problem

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nerexis

Xfce + compiz, buggy panel, workspace problem

Post by nerexis »

I have problems using Xfce with compiz. Xfce panel is doing strange things:
- when switching workspaces using Compiz Cube, windows are switch like they should, so on every workspace I have correct windows, but xfce panel shows windows from all workspaces, when I click on window on panel nothing happens, workspace manager on panel says I'm still on first workspace, when I'm actually on second or third...
- when switching workspaces using xfce's panel workspace manager, everything dissappear, only desktop background is left, and desktop is not useable, to fix I restart X using ctrl alt backspace
- unminimizing windows on xfce panel made compiz crash a lot of times, or sometimes windows are not unminimized

EDIT:
I'm using laptop with external monitor connected to it. I'm using separate X desktop mode.
Can't check how it works on 1 monitor because monitor in laptop is broken.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aac74

Re: Xfce + compiz, buggy panel, workspace problem

Post by aac74 »

what versions of: mint and compiz are you using ?
what graphics card are you using ?
Hardware: intel or ati or nvidia what card are you using and what driver version are you using ?

I'm not having problems with mint 14 xfce, compiz 9.8.6, nvidia 910 card with version 310 of the prop nvidia driver.
aac74

Post by aac74 »

The xfce workspace switcher doesn't work well with compiz so it's best removed

You can set the properties of the window buttons xfce panel applet to show just current workspace or all workspace windows
nerexis

Post by nerexis »

aac74 wrote:what versions of: mint and compiz are you using ?
what graphics card are you using ?
Hardware: intel or ati or nvidia what card are you using and what driver version are you using ?

I'm not having problems with mint 14 xfce, compiz 9.8.6, nvidia 910 card with version 310 of the prop nvidia driver.
I have mint 14 xfce, compiz 9.8.6, nvidia experimental 310 (but tested 304 too), geforce 8600m.

aac74, setting these options didn't fix my problem.

Oops, I didnt write it... I'm using laptop with external monitor connected to it. I'm using separate X desktop mode.
Can't check how it works on 1 monitor because monitor in laptop is broken.
aac74

Post by aac74 »

mate has better out of the box multi monitor support.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Post by jungle_boy »

Compiz have many, many troubles with Linuxmint. Remove it.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
aac74

Post by aac74 »

After playing around a bit there only seems to be a couple of good workspace/monitor configurations for compiz and xfce:

A) 4 compiz desktops on a single monitor - for advanced users using one monitor
set 1 xfce workspace (in xfce settings > workspaces)
set 4 compiz workspaces (in compiz settings > general options > desktop size > number of desktops)
use compiz scale to switch between windows (make sure compiz workaround plugin is enabled to not delete minimised windows - also scale is set to show all windows on all desktops)
use compiz expo to switch workspaces and arrange windows on workspaces
do not use the xfce workspace switcher or xfce window buttons (remove them from the panel as they don't work correctly and confuse things with multiple compiz desktops)

B) 1 compiz desktop on 1 or 2 monitors (setup multi monitors with xrandr and arandr) - for beginner users and advanced users using 2 monitors
set 1 xfce workspace and 1 compiz workspace
disable compiz scale and expo and workaround plugins
don’t use xfce workspace switcher
use xfce window switcher buttons applet to switch windows

Return to “Xfce”