How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Postby lunatico on Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Hello,

I looked all over the forum and couldn't find a solution to this. I have LM13 XFCE installed with and encrypted home folder.

I recently changed my user password and root password. I did this on the terminal by:
Code: Select all
sudo su
passwd <username>
passwd root

Up until here everything was fine. However, after I rebooted I could no longer login. After looking at the logs I realized that the home folder was not been mounted. I was able to ssh in (or go to different tty) and do 'encryptfs-mount-private' to mount home folder and then I was able to log into Xfce desktop. But the change would not persist, after rebooting I was back to unmounted home.

I Googled a bit on how I could fix this but didn't find anything. I changed the user password to be the same old one and then home was getting mounted automatically again.

How can I change my user password without breaking the encrypted home folder mount?

Thanks!
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Postby xenopeek on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:33 pm

Answered here: http://bodhizazen.net/Tutorials/Ecryptfs/#Password. Just change your password while logged in, and do it as yourself and not as root (no su or sudo!).
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How to change user password when home is encrypted?

Postby lunatico on Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks a lot! That worked just fine. After reading that it actually makes all the sense in the world.
lunatico
Level 2
Level 2

Return to XFCE