So, have I upgraded? (LM XFCE 16)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

So, have I upgraded? (LM XFCE 16)

Post by ander111 »

Hi guys,

I installed LM XFCE 16 RC when it came out. I've now added all the updates that appeared in Update Mgr., and have done the dist-upgrade (apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade). Does that mean I essentially have the full 16 release now?

The reason I ask is, I'm still seeing "Ubuntu 10.3" when I boot, rather than the Mint logo boot screen. Is that normal? Can I add the Mint boot screen separately somehow?

Thanks, Ander
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Re: So, have I upgraded? (LM XFCE 16)

Post by MtnDewManiac »

Shouldn't have to do a dist-upgrade; IIRC if the RC of Mint becomes the final, they are then pretty much one and the same for practical purposes and the regular update process is all you need. But I could be wrong (smart people, please confirm or deny?).

Last - and only - time I tried that upgrade thing on a "child of Ubuntu" distro, it removed most (all?) of the bits that made the distro unique (several hundred megabytes worth of files) and left me with a half-borked Ubuntu instead. However, this was with Ultimate Edition, not Mint, and things might be different with it.

I guess I'm wondering how this works in Mint, myself.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Did you know that Mountain Dew has the most caffeine of any soft drink (except the ones that make a big deal about how much caffeine they have)?
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

ander111 wrote:Did you know that Mountain Dew has the most caffeine of any soft drink (except the ones that make a big deal about how much caffeine they have)?
I used to. Someone told me just the other day that Dr. Pepper Ten has more caffeine, so now I'm not so sure.

But, yeah, thus the "Maniac" part :roll: . I've had moderate to severe headaches almost every single day since a bad automobile wreck in the Spring of 1989. Some time around 1995, I discovered that caffeine sometimes lessened them to light to moderate. A few months after that, I realized that they were back to moderate to severe - but I was left with a caffeine addiction :lol: . However, since 1989, I have had two days when I had no headache whatsoever and both of those days have been during my "fiending caffeine" period, so I'm hoping I'll have another couple of headache-free days at some point during the next 20 or 21 years. If, you know... my heart doesn't give out from the caffeine first :oops: .

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried meditation? Like caffeine, it expands the blood vessels and improves circulation, often relieving pain. It can also improve your sleep (rather than disrupting it) and your general outlook. And it's free—and it doesn't have to have anything to do with religion, spirituality, or that kind of stuff (though many people use it as part of those practices).

In case you're not familiar with it, here's a good blog page with a basic explanation of what it is and how it works. And UCLA's Mindful Awareness Research Center (some name, huh?) has a page with a bunch of recorded guided meditations to help you get started.

Again, this has nothing to do with any religion. Done this way, it's just a pure and natural method of stress management and health improvement that people have used for thousands of years. Hope you enjoy it.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

Back on topic... It would still be nice to have the Mint startup logo, rather than "UBUNTU 13.10" (sorry, I got the version wrong). Any idea how I can do this? And why did the Mint RC say "UBUNTU" anyway? Oversight?
MoonDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoonDragon »

interesting to read, especially the banter on meditation :)
However, pity I didn't see this post sooner. Doing a dist upgrade will pull Ubuntu right in and is also affected by any ppa s you might have added outside of the standard mint ones. I could have advised you how to get it straightened out. THe best way to upgrade or do a distribution upgrade with mint is without reformatting your home directory/partition (in order to keep all your personal files and settings) to download the latest iso file and install from that... It is more efficient for a number of reasons:
1. It is more compressed than downloading all files over apt from the ppas ........... it will be much quicker to download
2. It is clean and will have you turning fewer loops trying to get stuff to work.

ANyway, you've probably moved on and got things sorted by now and might never read this.
ander111
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ander111 »

MoonDragon wrote:THe best way to upgrade or do a distribution upgrade with mint is without reformatting your home directory/partition (in order to keep all your personal files and settings) to download the latest iso file and install from that...
Yeah, I realized I could totally reinstall once the stable release was, uh, released. The dist-upgrade just seemed a lot easier. I figured that's what it was for.
MoonDragon wrote:ANyway, you've probably moved on and got things sorted by now...
Nothing had to be "sorted out" but the startup screen. Everything else works fine. I was totally geeking on that.
MoonDragon wrote:...and might never read this.
I'm reading it... I live in the suburbs—staying subscribed to forum threads is about as exciting as it gets here.
MoonDragon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MoonDragon »

hahaha! :) I'm sure you're not that bored.... I live on the edge of the jungle in Borneo... a small oil drilling town in Borneo Malaysia... it has 280 thousand or so inhabitants... then it's flying to get to the biggest towns or cities ..... hot all the time, we can't go out during the day much 31C+
so I use openSUSE for entertainment value, and or meditate....

Return to “Xfce”