How can non-admins mount USB drives under XFCE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
goetzkluge
Level 3
Level 3

How can non-admins mount USB drives under XFCE?

Post by goetzkluge »

For running Linux from external SSD drives I tried XFCE rather than Mate. XFCE seems to be less busy. So far I like XFCE. However, users without admin rights can't mount USB drives.

Is there a group to which I have to assign these users? (I tried some without success.) Or do I have to change the sudo configuration?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cwsnyder

Re: How can non-admins mount USB drives under XFCE?

Post by cwsnyder »

The way you mount USB drives under Linux is to mount them using /etc/fstab using either an admin called editor or terminal command line, the same way as you mount ANY removable or non-removable device. As an alternative, you can either assign the rights to mount removable devices to your user account or a group to which your user account could be added, but those group user rights would have to be set up, such a group is not defined by default.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How can non-admins mount USB drives under XFCE?

Post by altair4 »

goetzkluge wrote:For running Linux from external SSD drives I tried XFCE rather than Mate. XFCE seems to be less busy. So far I like XFCE. However, users without admin rights can't mount USB drives.

Is there a group to which I have to assign these users? (I tried some without success.) Or do I have to change the sudo configuration?
How old is your operating system? And are you talking about mounting or accessing the drive? Accessing an already mounted partition is a different issue.

Currently all local users can mount external USB drives automatically - just plug it in. If you go back far enough you had to be a member of plugdev ( and possibly fuse for ntfs formated partitions ) but that was all replaced by another mechanism.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Xfce”