"SOLVED" PulseAudio fix for Skype & autostart

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
la_monda
Level 2
Level 2

"SOLVED" PulseAudio fix for Skype & autostart

Post by la_monda »

Greetings to the community. I am trying to setup skype for my mothers laptop in mint 16 xfce x32bit.
Sound output wasn't working for skype but luckily i stumbled on this solution:
If you are packaging Skype for your distribution, you need to change the Exec line in your Skype .desktop file as follows:

Exec=env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype %U

If you are a user, and your distribution doesn’t already carry this fix (as of about a week ago, Ubuntu does, and as of ~1 hour from now, Gentoo will), you need to launch Skype from the command line as follows:

$ PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype

Through terminal i managed to launch skype by using this command: PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 skype (different from the suggested) and skype DID worked!
However i want to add skype to the autostart programs list and i tried several things and neither of them worked.
I changed the command from the shortcut of the application skype %U to the one suggested and nothing changed, I changed the command to the one that worked in the terminal and actually still nothing.

Since through the terminal command it actually works, can't i make an autostart entry for that terminal command (by making an executable script file and puting it to autostart??? - don't now how though :oops: ) in order to launch skype upon login?
Thanks in advance for the support!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: PulseAudio fix for Skype & autostart

Post by kyphi »

This is how it works in Cinnamon. Adapt for Xfce.

To get Skype to work without sound glitches, use the following line as the Skype command:

env PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=30 skype %U

Type this line as the command to start Skype into the Command field of your menu editor.

To get Skype to start on System Startup, open "Startup Applications" in the menu, if there is no entry for Skype, create one by clicking on "Add". Type the line given above into the Command box. Don't forget to place a tick next to the Skype entry in Startup Applications.

If you want to add Skype to your panel, use "add to panel" from the menu. After you have started Skype, a second instance of Skype will appear on the panel. Now you can delete the first one.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Xfce”