reinstalling without actually doing so

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TANUJMINTLINUX

reinstalling without actually doing so

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

[ continuation of topic http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0&t=166472 ]

A question ?
Suppose i have apps like wine , callibre and some other games on my LINUX MINT16 XFCE installation.
Now , for some reason i want to reinstall mint .
"is there any way that i can protect all these program wine , callibre,cinnamonDE etc. so i do not need to REINSTALL
EVERYTHING BACK "
please explain in detail and simply
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kalyk
Level 5
Level 5

Re: reinstalling without actually doing so

Post by Kalyk »

Mint has got a tool MintBackup.
It can backup and restore your personal data, but it can also backup a list of apps you installed from the repositories.
That list can then be used as input for "restore", where the restore is really just reinstalling everything you had at the time of backup without you having to select everything again.
Add (Solved) to the topic-title of the first post when appropriate so others know they might find a solution here.
Dyfi

Post by Dyfi »

Synaptic has a similar feature. It can create a script of installed software which can be later used on a fresh install.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can take it one step further. Before you re-install with the Mint Backup or Synaptic script, you can copy all of the .deb files from your old Mint to your new Mint. Copy all of the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ to the new /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder.
That way the programs are already downloaded, saving you time and bandwidth - unless there is a newer version, in which case, the newer version will be downloaded and installed.

You can copy the hidden files and folders related to the programs you want, also.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
usbtux

Post by usbtux »

austin.texas wrote:You can take it one step further. Before you re-install with the Mint Backup or Synaptic script, you can copy all of the .deb files from your old Mint to your new Mint. Copy all of the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives/ to the new /var/cache/apt/archives/ folder.
That way the programs are already downloaded, saving you time and bandwidth - unless there is a newer version, in which case, the newer version will be downloaded and installed.

You can copy the hidden files and folders related to the programs you want, also.

Not always true - if you use bleachbit or use apt-get clean all your deb files will be removed

Return to “Xfce”