Moving Versus Copying Files

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heshchet

Post by heshchet »

When I try to move a file into a folder on my desktop it copies it instead. I have to go into the file manager in order for it to be moved instead of copied. Is there a way to allow files to be moved by default? The only time I want a file copied is when I'm moving something to another partition or external drive.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
EmilyJ

Post by EmilyJ »

Hi, I have the same experience and will be interested to read replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
heshchet

Re: Moving Versus Copying Files

Post by heshchet »

Emily, do you have full drive encryption? When installing Linux Mint I chose to implement the full drive encryption. Home folder is encrypted as well. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with it.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

If you press the "Shift" key when you drag and drop it moves instead of copying.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
heshchet

Post by heshchet »

altair4 wrote:If you press the "Shift" key when you drag and drop it moves instead of copying.
Thanks for the tip, but I just tried that and it didn't work. It still copies.
heshchet

Post by heshchet »

Actually that does work, altair4.

You right click the thing you want to move. While keeping the right click button pressed, you drag the clicked item over the folder. Then press down the shift key and let go of the right click button and the shift key at roughly the same time. And voila!

It's better than nothing. But is there some setting i can change to make it move files by default, without having to use the shift key?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Not to my knowledge but I never tried to change it so I really don't know.

You could use another file manager. One that plays well with others and doesn't interfere with the desktop environment is XFE.

Created during The Golden Age of Linux is sets up a sort of parallel universe with it's own set of little utilities. About the only thing it can't so is access the network. If you take a look at the screenshot in this topic you see that a drag and drop launches a "so what do you want me to do with this thing" prompt: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=166564
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
heshchet

Post by heshchet »

Okay thanks, altair4. Even though I've received a solution I think I'll leave the thread open in case others know of alternative solutions.
heshchet

Post by heshchet »

I learned of another solution for moving files versus copying them: use the right-click mouse button to drag-and-drop instead of the left-click button. The files will be moved automatically. A little popup window will appear asking you to confirm if you want to move the file.

Return to “Xfce”