XFCE and automount.. not linux mint on acer aspire one

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ossified65

XFCE and automount.. not linux mint on acer aspire one

Post by ossified65 »

Hi everyone, I have the XFCE version of Mint on 3 laptops, but my fiance just bought an acer aspire one. we didn't want to loose the functionality of the system so we left Linpus installed. She hated their modified menu so I activated the XFCE defult menu and desktop. Everything is great now, except memory sticks (pen drives) no longer automount. They do not appear on the desktop, no can you browse them with Thunar. But if I login as root (sudo thunar) the Sandisk cruzer can be browsed. The default permission for the memory stick is now "root". She could login as root as a work around, but that really doesn't work for us. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bryan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Re: XFCE and automount.. not linux mint on acer aspire one

Post by merlwiz79 »

Open Thunar --> Edit --> Preferences --> Advanced.
Check Enable Volume Management.
Click Configure.
Under Removable Storage check all.
This should make it auto mount the thumbdrive.

If it won't mount in User session open thunar with gksu thunar and reconnect the thumbdrive.
Everything will still be as root but you won't have to login as root.
ossified65

Post by ossified65 »

Thanks for the help! I have all the boxes checked, but still not automount. I am pretty new to Linux in general. How do I "gksu" thunar? If I go to terminal and type "gksu thunar" it says bash: gk command not found.

Also, since this is my first thread, let me say I live Linux Mint!!
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

That's weird is it a GTK environment or a QT.
Other commands are gksudo or sudo.
Maybe I should try th Linpus live cd.
ossified65

Post by ossified65 »

In case anyone is watching this thread I finally solved the problem by reinstalling Linpus and then installing desktop-switch-0.3-1.i386.rpm.gz, which I found at a German Blog http://www.iphpbb3.com/forum/39151476nx ... -t218.html . The defualt archive GUI in Linpus wouldn't work for me so I had to use the terminal. I think it was gzip -d desktop-switch-0.3-1.i386.rpm.gz . Then I installed it with sudo rpm -i desktop-switch-0.3-1.i386.rpm .

It adds the icon to the panel at the bottom allowing you to switch between screens.

Hope this helps someone else,

Bryan

Return to “Xfce”