LinuxMint17 on Compaq Mini 110

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chrisrodgers
Level 1
Level 1

LinuxMint17 on Compaq Mini 110

Post by chrisrodgers »

Hi! I have been running LM Xfce 15 on my little (free) Compaq mini 110. I wanted to upgrade to 17 just to be on an LTS version. I read that LM17Xfce is due out some time this month, but I was wondering if I might be able to try out LM17 Cinnamon on this netbook. Is there a big difference in requirements between Xfce and Cinnamon? (pointers to a doc are welcomed) I mainly use it for portability of light things like taking notes (libre office) at a community meeting, light internet browsing, etc. I was thinking of using it at work to connect to the network and open a terminal session to ssh to some of our servers in the network (while in meetings). No major tasks.

Has anyone here, who might already be running LM Xfce on a small, underpowered netbook, tried another release like Cinnamon or MATE on the netbook? Would I just be wasting my time?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gold_finger

Re: LinuxMint17 on Compaq Mini 110

Post by gold_finger »

Best way to find out is to just make a live USB and boot from it. If it works, that's your answer. If it runs, it will probably be a bit sluggish compared to Xfce on that computer, but you won't really know until you try it.

After USB test, you can install (will run somewhat faster off of hard drive); or wait for Xfce 17 if you decide against Cinnamon. Just make backup copies of your data before installing and you'll be fine. You can always switch back to Xfce if you change your mind later.

Return to “Xfce”